A newborn baby sleeps at least 16 hours a day; with this in mind, any parent would want to create the safest and most comfortable sleeping area for their little one.
Although a head pillow is not something that a baby needs until a later stage, there are a few other pillow options to make babies’ sleep time more comfortable.
When are Pillows for Babies Safe?
Although you may think your precious little one will benefit so much more from a pillow cradling their sweet little head, why not use a pillow yourself? It’s a DEFINITE NO GO!
Babies and adults are so much different, and a baby by no means requires a pillow; in fact, it can be very dangerous that a baby won’t have a pillow.
On average, over 32 infant deaths a year are caused by pillows or props in babies’ cribs. A pillow can block a baby’s nose and mouth, causing them to suffocate.
In the first couple of months, your baby cannot move or roll around much to help themselves out of an award or dangerous position; therefore, less is best when it comes to their sleeping space. It would be best to avoid heavy blankets and soft toys in the first few months.
I would recommend the only pillow types with caution for newborns and young infants are a wedge pillow or sleep positioners.
It is safe to start giving your baby a pillow to sleep on from around 18 months, as soon as the baby starts sleeping in a toddler bed or their bed.
Pillows and Positioners Safe For Infants
As they are called sleep-positioner or side pillows for babies, you can find a positioner in many shapes; some accommodate side sleeping and those for back sleeping. A sleep-positioner has edges restricting your baby from rolling and keeping them in a safe sleeping position.
You can choose to place the Wedge pillow on or under your mattress at the top of the crib, basically what I used for both my babies. This pillow has a wedge shape and narrows down to the end, which slightly elevates your baby when sleeping. The elevated level helps with acid reflux and promotes breathing, mainly when a baby is congested.
The Headshaping Pillow
This pillow is designed to cradle and support your baby’s head to reduce pressure on a certain side that can cause a deformed head, referred to as a flat head syndrome in babies.
Safe Sleeping Tips for Baby
A few tips that are ideal for baby to sleep safely;
- Never place a small or newborn baby directly on their side or tummy; the safest position is on their back or slightly to the side.
- Do not sleep with a newborn or small baby in your bed or on a sofa.
- The safest is for your baby to sleep in their crib.
- Never cover a baby’s face with a blanket.
- Try to avoid stuffed toys, pillows, loose blankets, and bedding.
- Babies have a higher chance of overheating than getting too cold, so make sure the temperature is just right, and preferably avoid trying to keep the baby too warm.
- A flat waterproof mattress is always your best option.
- Try to keep your baby’s cot or crib in your room for the first six months, at least for better peace of mind and safety.
Reviews: The Best Pillows for Babies and Toddlers
Check out the best baby pillows;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
AhaSeven is a cool pillow that is functional in the daily routine and for a special photoshoot of your little one.
- It is manufactured with a soft and resilient crystal cotton surface that is entirely safe for the baby.
- The PP cotton filling is also highly plush and snuggles to your baby’s body.
- An excellent baby shower gift that comes beautifully packaged.
- Ideal for babies from newborn up to six months.
This plush pillow is ideal for babies up to 2 years of age.
- It has a high and low outer design that uniformly supports the baby’s head
- The 95% natural Latex is much safer, as it is rich in natural ingredients like oak protein, natural sugar, natural resin, etc.
- The multiple honeycomb holes ensure breathability and ventilation so that your baby enjoys sound sleep.
- Washable cover.
This pillow for babies is a versatile piece that can be used on the bed, crib, pushchairs, etc.
- Weighing only 0.035 ounces, this pillow provides optimal support that shapes and cradles your baby’s head.
- Breathable and hypoallergenic, as well as PH balanced and non-toxic Cotton fabric. Preferably to be washed with warm water.
- The filling includes 100% polyester fiber.
- Suitable for infants to three-year-old toddlers.
- The design features cute patterns that also provide spot-on comfort and support.
The Baby sleep positioning pillow from Estink has a multipurpose design to keep the baby from rolling and aid in digestion and acid reflux.
- It is manufactured from durable and firm foam with a breathable mesh cover that is completely damp-proof and ametabolic, preventing bacteria or organisms from growing in the pillow.
- A great portable size with a non-slip handle creates a safe sleeping environment for the baby anywhere.
- The handrails are breathable and provide constant airflow, to eliminate the risk of suffocation and overheating while sleeping.
- Very easy to wash and dry, this pillow will keep its shape.
If you are looking for the best of the best pillow for your toddler, this is it, no comparison, no competition, the Dreamtown Kids Pillow wins hands down. Though I stress this, this pillow is NOT SUITABLE FOR BABY UNDER 2 YEARS!!
- Completely non-toxic and not treated with flame retardants or any other chemicals.
- The pillowcase is woven from a cotton and Polycotton recycled blend that is completely hypoallergenic.
- The unique synthetic fill and cotton cover will resist mildew and mold, as well as mites.
- It is designed with a certified chiropractor as the ideal size and fill for toddlers and children’s heads.
- It is tested to be 100% safe and antibacterial.
- Easy to wash and care for.
Safe, non-toxic, completely natural, and designed with top chiropractic and pediatrician influence, what more can you ask for in the perfect pillow for your toddler. I would recommend this one for toddlers around 18 months and older, depending on their development stage.
- This pillow is designed with the influence of some of the top chiropractors and pediatricians and individually inspected for quality and just the right amount of support.
- A super-soft organic cotton shell that is dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
- The polyester fill can be washed well and not lose its shape while being super soft and supportive for little heads.
- Completely chemical, flame retardant, and toxin-free, with a poly cluster filling that contains no GMO’s, pesticides, or fungicides.
From John N Tree, we have this eco-friendly and organic cotton baby pillow that is also hypoallergenic.
- It is made from pure natural organic cotton.
- Hypoallergenic polyester filling that is soft and durable.
- Easy to wash and dry.
- Free from all chemicals and toxins.
A comfortable multipurpose design pillow designed to prevent flat head syndrome in babies.
- cradles your baby’s head ideally to prevent a flat head and distributes pressure evenly.
- Adjustable design and uses.
- Transitions into a neck support pillow for feeding and a travel pillow later.
- Easy to clean and machine washable.
- Quality pillow made in the USA.
We start with one of the latest pillows for babies, the Newborn Head Shaping Pillow. This pillow helps prevent flat head syndrome in babies by correctly positioning their heads and cradling their necks in a crib, car seat, or stroller.
- Ideal for newborn babies and safe use in the crib, car seat, and stroller.
- This pillow helps position your baby’s delicate head properly to prevent ‘flat head syndrome.
- The cover is made from 100% soft organic cotton that is light and breathable and will not overheat.
- Naturally, antibacterial and hypoallergenic memory foam filling are ideal for sensitive skin and noses.
A head-shaping soft organic pillow for newborn and small babies.
- Super soft and comfortable.
- It helps to prevent ‘flat head syndrome.
- It is filled with organic pearl wool that is more durable and less deformed.
- Breathable and soft materials to protect babies’ soft skin.
I love this design from Babymoov for newborns and younger babies. This is a cushion that prevents flat head syndrome, as well as a body positioner that prevents the baby from rolling, creating a comfortable cocooned space for the baby to sleep in.
- You can use the Babymoov pillow with all your baby gear, crib, car seat, pram stroller, and even rockers.
- It is designed to effectively prevent plagiocephaly, which is a flat head syndrome in babies.
- The ergonomic headrest and body support with padded edges create a snug and comfortable little nest, which is the ideal position for a newborn or young infant to sleep in.
- This pillow is safe for newborns up to around four months old.
- Filled with soft and resilient memory foam and covered with a light and breathable fabric cover.
A wedge design baby pillow for acid reflux and better circulation.
- It comes with a plush filling, along with a comfortable and warm design.
- The anti-skid design in the neck area ensures that the baby’s neck gets the right support during sleep time.
- To keep it clean, you must hand wash or dry clean only. Machine wash is not advised.
- The use of Thailand imported Latex speaks volumes for its quality and durability.
- Also reduces head pressure, has good ventilation, and wicks away excess moisture.
- It will easily fit most bassinets and baby beds.
A head shaping pillow is a conforming memory foam from OCCO Baby.
- Covered in a cotton cover and comes with a bamboo pillowcase.
- Head shaping and conforming memory foam fill.
- Non-toxic and safe materials for babies.
- Safe design with ample shoulder room.
The pillow is a flat-designed hypoallergenic ideal for older babies and toddlers.
- Certified safe and healthy design.
- Soft and flat with hypoallergenic materials.
- Easy travel size and shape.
- Washable cotton Pillowcase.
Another superb design from Clevamama is safe and hypoallergenic for young and newborn babies.
- Comfortable support with the ClevaFoam design.
- Hypoallergenic and certified safe materials and design.
- Breathable and allergens-free with Airflow technology materials.
- Mothers design them for mothers.
A Pillow designed for babies and toddlers helps prevent flat head syndrome and offers optimal natural comfort.
- Fun bear shape and print.
- Filled with natural latex and covered with a natural cotton cover.
- Breathable, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic materials.
- Healthy head contouring sleep.
The perfect toddler-sized pillow from Little Sleepy Heads
- It is made with Hypoallergenic cotton.
- Ideal size and loft for toddlers.
- Portable and easy for travel use.
- Durable and soft materials.
- Completely non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
Get this high-quality pillow for naturally soft and breathable support to your baby’s delicate neck and head.
- An organic cotton cover that is breathable and non-toxic can also be washed with ease.
- Its unique shape is designed to soothe the muscles and promote deep and high-quality sleep.
- It also promotes correct sleeping positions.
- Comfortable shape-retaining and permeable build
Improve your baby’s sleep by elevating your baby’s body or head to the right angle.
- Offers gentle support to the head and torso.
- It is suitable for babies suffering from acid reflux, colic, indigestion, etc.
- Apart from a removable cotton cover that is stitched thoroughly and is highly resistant to wear and tear, it also features a waterproof inner cover.
- Fits in most places like Bassinet, baby crib, infant bed, etc.
- Makes for a great baby shower gift.
The Bliss n baby is a comfortable and breathable pillow that ensures optimal head shaping capabilities and prevents acid reflux.
- Prevents and corrects flat head syndrome and flat spots.
- Ergonomic design distributes weight and pressure evenly.
- Airmesh surface that is breathable and cooling.
- Natural and safe hypoallergenic materials and an organic cotton cover.
- Washable and durable design.
There are many different opinions and statements regarding sleeping safely in younger babies.
General head pillows are only advised for toddlers aged 18 months and older. Sleep positioners and wedge pillows for babies have been introduced as safe, but likewise, controversies surrounding them.
As a mother, I used a Wedge Pillow under my baby’s mattress for slight elevation to help with breathing and acid reflux, and nothing else; this seemed the safest way for me.
The choice of pillow and when to use it is up to your personal preference, considering which studies have shown to be true. A baby should only need to use a pillow once old enough to sleep on their bed.
Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Babies
Table of Contents
- When are Pillows for Babies Safe?
- Pillows and Positioners Safe For Infants
- Safe Sleeping Tips for Baby
- Reviews: The Best Pillows for Babies and Toddlers
- AhaSeven® Moon Shape Infant Side Sleeper Pillow
- Haimian® Head Shaping Natural Latex Baby Pillow
- NYKK® Plush Baby Pillow for Correcting Head Deviation
- Reste® Sleep Positioner Best Baby Pillow
- Dreamtown Kids® Toddler Best Pillow for Baby Over 2 Years
- Little One’s Pillow® Toddler Pillows for Babies
- John N Tree® Organic Cotton Baby Pillow
- Babymoon® 4 in 1 Multi-Purpose Baby Pillow
- Bebo Beba® Newborn Headshaping Pillow
- Microfibre® Head Shaping Pillows for Babies
- Babymoov® Cosymorpho Best Pillow for Newborn
- OCCO Baby® Latex Corrective Miental Baby Pillow
- OCCO Baby® Memory Foam Head Shaping Baby Pillow
- Biloban® Toddler Baby and Toddler Pillow
- Clevamama® Breathable Pillows for Babies
- Shantoo® Flat Head Baby Pillow
- Little Sleepy Head® Toddler Toddler Baby Pillow
- XIANGGUI® Neck Support Memory Foam Pillow for Babies
- UUHOME® Memory Foam Wedge Baby Pillow
- Bliss n Baby® Organic Reflux Prevention Pillows for Babies
- In Conclusion
- Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Babies