A newborn baby sleeps at least 16 hours a day; with this in mind, any parent would want to create the safest and most comfortable sleeping area for their little one.
Although a head pillow is not something that a baby needs until a later stage, there are a few other pillow options to make babies’ sleep time more comfortable.
When are Pillows Safe for Baby
Although you may think your precious little one will benefit so much more from a pillow cradling their sweet little head, and why not you use a pillow yourself? It’s a DEFINITE NO GO!
Babies and adults are so much different, and a baby by no means requires a pillow; in fact, it can be very dangerous that a baby won’t have a pillow.
On average, there are over 32 infant deaths a year caused by pillows or props in babies’ cribs. A pillow can block a baby’s nose and mouth, causing them to suffocate.
In the first couple of months, your baby cannot move or roll around much to help themselves out of an award or dangerous position; therefore, less is best when it comes to their sleeping space. Even heavy blankets and soft toys should be avoided in the first few months.
I would recommend the only pillow types with caution for newborns and young infants are a wedge pillow or sleep positioners.
It is safe to start giving your baby a pillow to sleep on from around 18 months, as soon as the baby starts sleeping in a toddler bed or their own bed.
Pillows and Positioners Safe For Infants
As they are called or sleep-positioner, a positioner can be found in many shapes; some accommodate side sleeping, and those for back sleeping. A sleep-positioner has edges restricting your baby from rolling and keeping them in a safe sleeping position.
The Wedge pillow, basically what I used for both my babies, you can choose to place on or under your mattress at the top of the crib. This pillow has a wedge shape and narrows down to the end, which slightly elevates your baby when sleeping. The elevated level helps with acid reflux and promotes better breathing, particularly when a baby is congested.
The Headshaping Pillow
This pillow is designed to cradle and support your baby’s head to reduce pressure on a certain side that can cause a deformed head, referred to as a flat head syndrome in babies.
Safe Sleeping Tips for Baby
A few tips that are ideal for baby to sleep safely;
- Never place a small or newborn baby directly on their side or tummy; the safest position is on their back or slightly to the side.
- Do not sleep with a newborn or small baby in your bed or on a sofa.
- The safest is for your baby to sleep in their crib.
- Never cover a baby’s face with a blanket.
- Try to avoid stuffed toys, pillows, loose blankets, and bedding.
- Babies have a higher chance of overheating than getting too cold, so make sure the temperature is just right, and preferably avoid trying to keep the baby too warm.
- A flat waterproof mattress is always your best option.
- Try to keep your baby’s cot or crib in your room for the first six months, at least for better peace of mind and safety.
Reviews: The Best Pillows for Babies and Toddler
We start with one of the latest pillows for babies, the Newborn Head Shaping Pillow. This pillow helps prevent flat head syndrome in babies by correctly positioning their heads and cradling their necks when they are in either the crib, car seat, or stroller.
- Ideal to use for newborn babies and safe use in the crib, car seat, and stroller.
- This pillow helps to position your baby’s delicate head properly to prevent the flat head syndrome.
- The cover is made from 100% soft organic cotton that is light and breathable,, and will not overheat.
- Naturally, antibacterial and hypoallergenic memory foam filling are ideal for sensitive skin and noses.
If you have a baby that struggles with reflux or has indigestion often, particularly babies who tend to bring up their milk, this pillow can be a true lifesaver. This pillow positions your baby on their side, which will prevent them from choking and aid in reflux and gastric issues.
- Manufactured with soft and resilient memory foam that is completely breathable, hypoallergenic, and antibacterial.
- The cover is made from 1005 soft velvet that is ideal for infant sleeping.
- An excellent baby shower gift that comes beautifully packaged.
- Ideal for babies from newborn up to six months.
I love this design from Babymoov for newborns and younger babies. This is a cushion that prevents flat head syndrome, as well as a body positioner that prevents the baby from rolling, creating a comfortable cocooned space for the baby to sleep in.
- You can use the Babymoov pillow with all your baby gear, crib, car seat, pram stroller, and even rockers.
- It is designed to effectively prevent plagiocephaly, which is a flat head syndrome in babies.
- The ergonomic headrest and body support with padded edges create a snug and comfortable little nest, which is the ideal position for a newborn or young infant to sleep in.
- This pillow is safe for newborns up to around four months old.
- Filled with soft and resilient memory foam and covered with a light and breathable fabric cover.
The Baby sleep positioning pillow from Estink has a multipurpose design to keep the baby from rolling and to aid in digestion and acid reflux.
- It is manufactured from durable and firm foam with a breathable mesh cover that is completely damp-proof and ametabolic, preventing any bacteria or organisms from growing in the pillow.
- A great portable size with a non-slip handle so you can create a safe sleeping environment for the baby anywhere.
- The handrails are breathable and provide constant airflow, to eliminate the risk of suffocation and overheat while sleeping.
- Very easy to wash and dry, this pillow will keep its shape.
If you are looking for the best of the best pillow for your toddler, this is it, no comparison, no competition, the Dreamtown Kids Pillow wins hands down. Though I stress this, this pillow is NOT SUITABLE FOR BABY UNDER 2 YEARS!!
- Completely non-toxic and not treated with flame retardants or any other chemicals.
- The pillowcase is woven from a cotton and Polycotton recycled blend that is completely hypoallergenic.
- The unique synthetic fill and cotton cover will resist mildew and mold, as well as mites.
- It is designed with the recommendation of a certified chiropractor to be the ideal size and fillfor toddler and children’s heads.
- It is tested to be 100% safe and antibacterial.
- Easy to wash and care.
Safe, non-toxic, completely natural, and designed with top chiropractic and pediatrician influence, what more can you ask for in the perfect pillow for your toddler. I would recommend this one for toddlers around 18 months and older, depending on their development stage.
- This pillow is designed with influence from some of the top chiropractors and pediatricians and individually inspected for quality and just the right amount of support.
- A super-soft organic cotton shell that is dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
- The polyester fill can be washed well and will not lose its shape while being super soft and supportive for little heads.
- Completely chemical, flame retardant, and toxin-free, with a poly cluster filling that contains no GMO’s, pesticides, or fungicides.
From John N Tree, we have this eco-friendly and organic cotton baby pillow that is also hypoallergenic.
- It is made from pure natural organic cotton.
- Hypoallergenic polyester filling that is soft and durable.
- Easy to wash and dry.
- Free from all chemicals and toxins.
A comfortable multipurpose design pillow designed to prevent flat head syndrome in babies.
- cradles your baby’s head ideally to prevent a flat head and distributes pressure evenly.
- Adjustable design and uses.
- Transitions into a neck support pillow for feeding and a travel pillow later on.
- Easy to clean and machine washable.
- Quality pillow made in the USA.
The NimbliBaby Flat Head Correcting memory foam baby pillow offers babies’ ideal sleeping position.
- Flathead correction design.
- Perfect cradling neck and head support.
- Memory foam fill.
- Washable cover.
A head shaping soft organic pillow for newborn and small babies.
- Super soft and comfortable.
- It helps to prevent the flat head syndrome.
- It is filled with organic pearl wool that is more durable and less deformed.
- Breathable and soft materials to protect babies’ soft skin.
Clevamama is a top brand in baby products and produces some of the best and most innovative baby pillows and mattresses.
- It is made from Clevafoam, for optimal support that shapes and cradles your baby’s head.
- Breathable and hypoallergenic, as well as PH balanced and non-toxic fabric.
- It is certified safe and hypoallergenic.
- Airflo fabric for maximum breathability.
A wedge design baby pillow for acid reflux and better circulation.
- It comes with a waterproof layer and a breathable cotton cover.
- It will easily fit most bassinets and baby beds.
- Foam wedge for better support and acid reflux prevention.
- Durable and comfortable design.
A head shaping and conforming memory foam pillow from OCCO Baby.
- Covered in a cotton cover and comes with a bamboo pillowcase.
- Head shaping and conforming memory foam fill.
- Non-toxic and safe materials for babies.
- Safe design with ample shoulder room.
This is a flat designed hypoallergenic pillow ideal for older babies and toddlers.
- Certified safe and healthy design.
- Soft and flat with hypoallergenic materials.
- Easy travel size and shape.
- Washable cotton Pillowcase.
Another superb design from Clevamama is safe and hypoallergenic for young and newborn babies.
- Comfortable support with the ClevaFoam design.
- Hypoallergenic and certified safe materials and design.
- Breathable and allergens free with Airflow technology materials.
- Designed by mothers for mothers.
A Pillow designed for babies and toddlers helps prevent flat head syndrome and offers optimal natural comfort.
- Fun bear shape and print.
- Filled with natural latex and covered with a natural cotton cover.
- Breathable, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic materials.
- Healthy head contouring sleep.
The perfect toddler-sized pillow from Little Sleepy Heads
- It is made with Hypoallergenic cotton.
- Ideal size and loft for toddlers.
- Portable and easy for travel use.
- Durable and soft materials.
- Compelety non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
The sable baby pillow is natural and Oeko-TEX 100 certified safe and hypoallergenic.
- An organic cotton cover that is breathable and non-toxic.
- Breathable and cooling natural fibers.
- Comfortable shape-retaining design.
- Supports flat head syndrome.
- Double sided cotton padding.
A soft and breathable pillow for infants and very young babies prevent ‘flat head syndrome’ and suffocation.
- Available in a few color options for baby.
- A soft velvety surface.
- Air mesh breathable design to prevent suffocation.
- The best crib pillow for flat head syndrome.
- Contours and shapes to baby’s hed.
The Bliss n baby is a comfortable and breathable pillow that ensures optimal head shaping capabilities and prevents acid reflux.
- Prevents and corrects flat head syndrome and flat spots.
- Ergonomic design distributes weight and pressure evenly.
- Airmesh surface that is breathable and cooling.
- Natural and safe hypoallergenic materials and an organic cotton cover.
- Washable and durable design.
There are so many different opinions and statements regarding sleeping safely in younger babies.
General head pillows are only advised for toddlers from around 18 months and older. Sleep positioners and wedge pillows have been introduced as safe, but there are likewise some controversies surrounding them.
As a mother, I used a Wedge Pillow under my baby’s mattress for slight elevation to help with breathing and acid reflux, and nothing else; this seemed the safest way for me.
The choice in what type of pillow and when to use it is up to your own personal choice, taking into account which studies have shown to be true. I believe a baby should only need to use a pillow once old enough to sleep on their own bed.
Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Babies
|1||Bebo Beba Newborn - Headshaping Pillow||Bebo Beba||97.1|
|2||NiceTime Newborns - Side Sleeping Pillow||NiceTime||95|
|3||Babymoov Cosymorpho - Newborn Baby Cushion and Sleep Positioner||Babymoov||99|
|4||Reste Sleep Positioner - Portable Baby Pillow||Reste||95|
|5||Dreamtown Kids Toddler - Pillow for Baby Over 2 Years||Dreamtown Kids||99|
|6||Little One’s Pillow Toddler - Baby Pillow||Little One’s Pillow||99|
|7||John N Tree Organic - Cotton Baby Pillow||John N Tree||97|
|8||Babymoon 4 in 1 - Multi Purpose Baby Pillow||Babymoon||97|
|9||NimbliBaby Head Shaping - Baby Pillow||NimbliBaby||98|
|10||Microfire Newborn - Baby Pillow||Microfire||97|
|11||Clevamama 3100 - Foam Baby Pillow||Clevamama||97|
|12||OCCO Baby Universal - Baby Wedge Pillow||OCCO Baby||97|
|13||OCCO Baby Memory Foam - Head Shaping Baby Pillow||OCCO Baby||97|
|14||Biloban Toddler - Baby and Toddler Pillow||Biloban||97|
|15||Clevamama Breathable - Infant Pillow||Clevamama||98|
|16||Shantoo Flat Head - Baby Pillow||Shantoo||97|
|17||Little Sleepy Head Toddler - Toddler Baby Pillow||Little Sleepy Head||97|
|18||Sable Premium - Toddler and Older Baby Pillow||Sable||98|
|19||Malomme Infant - Baby Pillow||Malomme||98|
|20||Bliss n Baby Organic - head shaping;Reflux Prevention Baby Pillow||Bliss n Baby||97|
Table of Contents
- When are Pillows Safe for Baby
- Pillows and Positioners Safe For Infants
- Safe Sleeping Tips for Baby
- Reviews: The Best Pillows for Babies and Toddler
- Bebo Beba® Newborn Headshaping Pillow
- NiceTime® Newborns Side Sleeping Pillow
- Babymoov® Cosymorpho Newborn Baby Cushion and Sleep Positioner
- Reste® Sleep Positioner Portable Baby Pillow
- Dreamtown Kids® Toddler Pillow for Baby Over 2 Years
- Little One’s Pillow® Toddler Baby Pillow
- John N Tree® Organic Cotton Baby Pillow
- Babymoon® 4 in 1 Multi Purpose Baby Pillow
- NimbliBaby® Head Shaping Baby Pillow
- Microfire® Newborn Baby Pillow
- Clevamama® 3100 Foam Baby Pillow
- OCCO Baby® Universal Baby Wedge Pillow
- OCCO Baby® Memory Foam Head Shaping Baby Pillow
- Biloban® Toddler Baby and Toddler Pillow
- Clevamama® Breathable Infant Pillow
- Shantoo® Flat Head Baby Pillow
- Little Sleepy Head® Toddler Toddler Baby Pillow
- Sable® Premium Toddler and Older Baby Pillow
- Malomme® Infant Baby Pillow
- Bliss n Baby® Organic head shaping;Reflux Prevention Baby Pillow
- In Conclusion
- Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Babies