All living creatures are designed to love their offsprings to ensure their survival and wellbeing.
Infants spend around 18 hours a day sleeping, and this is when most of their development and growth happens. Therefore, we must make them as comfortable during this time as possible.
This is where wedge pillows, a type of sleep positioner, come in. Keep reading to find out more!
Sleep Positioners: Types and Usage
- What It Is – A Sleep Positioner is a cushioned device made for babies to provide comfortable sleep. It is usually used for infants aged six months or younger. It comes in many shapes, and there are some special positioners made for medical conditions.
- Wedge-Shaped Positioners – This positioner shape is ideal for babies experiencing acid reflux, stomach congestion or apnea. It eases breathing and decreases milk reflux by elevating the baby’s head 30 degrees or more.
- Bolster Positioners – This sleep positioner comes with a two-sided roll design to prevent babies from turning over on their stomachs in their sleep. The side rolls are designed to stay above the shoulders to prevent accidental suffocation.
- Nest Positioners – This type of positioner is most suited for infants that co-sleep with parents. It is basically a firm mesh fabric over the baby’s head and shoulder area to prevent the parents from getting dangerously close to the baby in their sleep.
- Combination Positioner – This latest design comes with memory foam in the center to provide cushion to the baby’s head along with side rolls to prevent turning over. It allows for the proper shaping of the head.
Benefits of Wedge Pillows for Baby
Wedge Pillows are the most common types of sleep positioners used. Like everything, sleep positioners have a long list of pros and cons. The benefits of wedge pillows are discussed down below.
- Acid Reflux and Digestion – Wedge Pillows keep the head elevated, helping the baby keep the milk down. This reduces the chances of acid reflux. This also helps the baby to digest the milk quicker and easier. Once the milk is digested, there is no chance of milk spit-up.
- Nasal Congestion – The wedge pillows allow gravity to drain the sinus passages, thereby reducing nasal congestion and easing breathing.
- Better Sleep Quality – Once the baby is free of any troubles such as acid reflux, stomach or nasal congestion, and ease of breathing, the baby sleeps better and spends a night of peaceful rest.
- Round Head Shape – Most wedge pillows are designed to promote the round development of a baby’s head instead of a flat shape that comes from sleeping on flat surfaces.
FDA Warning for Baby Wedge Pillows
The U.S Food and Drug Administration Authority issued a warning about sleep positioners because of the risk it poses.
- Risk of Suffocation – There have been some suffocation cases due to sleep positioners. This happens when the baby’s face is pressed against the side rolls of the sleep positioners.
- Risk of Getting Trapped – The baby may also get trapped between the side rolls and the crib walls. This may cause distress, and the situation could become dire without immediate assistance from the parents.
- Must be Labeled a Medical Device – The FDA only allows for sleep positioners that manufacturers claim to be medical devices. The product must be labeled, packaged, or advertised to cure, mitigate, treat, prevent, or reduce a disease or condition or its symptoms.
Reviews: Best Wedge Pillow for Baby
Reviewed down below are the most suitable wedge pillows for infants.
- OCCObaby’s Universal Baby Crib Wedge Pillow comes with a 12-degree incline.
- It safely elevates the baby’s head to relieve congestion, reduce milk spitting, and improve sleep quality.
- The universal wedge pillow is made using high-density memory foam to provide cushion and comfort to the baby’s head.
- The pillow comes with a removable and washable hypoallergenic, waterproof cover.
- The cover is bacteria and mold-resistant and is free of any odor or skid.
- All the components in this product are safe for your baby. There are no harsh chemicals, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, BPAs, or PBDEs.
- This product is designed for a secure fit under any fitted sheet.
- This product provides the optimum elevation to the baby’s head, chest, and stomach.
- The wedge pillow helps the baby with acid reflux, milk spitting, stomach, and nose congestion.
- The pillow eases the baby into the transition from bassinet to crib.
- It comes with a knitted cotton cover that is breathable, hypoallergenic and has a non-slip bottom.
- Brighton Baby Co’s wedge pillow is made free of any harsh chemicals to be safe.
- The universal size wedge pillow satisfies all guidelines regarding safe sleep positioning.
- The pillow is designed to be odor-free and non-slip to prevent the baby from sliding down.
- It comes with a waterproof organic cotton cover that is breathable, hypoallergenic, easy to clean, and completely safe for the baby.
- This wedge pillow is designed to reduce sleep discomfort caused by acid reflux, spit-ups, etc.
- The multifunctional pillow comes with a 15-degree incline and has the perfect destiny to support the baby’s head.
- Tie the tether and fasten it properly to reduce the chance of suffocation.
- The pillow is made using a 60D high-density sponge with a breathable organic cotton cover.
- The cover is skin-friendly and washable.
- This bassinet wedge pillow provides relief from reflux, congestion, and spit-ups to result in a better night of sleep.
- The wedge pillow comes with a 12-degree incline for optimum elevation.
- Sweeterbaby’s pillow comes with a removable, waterproof cover that is resistant to stains and odors.
- The bassinet wedge pillow comes with a 12-degree incline angle that pediatricians recommend.
- It elevates the baby’s head and torso to reduce acid reflux, nasal and stomach congestion to provide relief and a restful night’s sleep.
- Aurelius wedge pillows come with premium artisan-knit cotton covers that add an extra layer of comfort to the pillow.
- A comfortable crib wedge pillow for younger babies.
- It prevents acid reflux and improves breathing functions.
- It offers optimal spinal support.
- Three adjustable incline designs and a cotton fabric cover.
- This pillow comes with an outer cotton cover and a spill-resistant Nylon inner casing.
- It improves acid reflux and colic in babies.
- The ideal Wedge pillow for a bassinet.
- Approved safe and hypoallergenic.
- A comfortable and supportive Bassinet pillow for babies.
- It comes with a luxury organic cotton cover with anti-bacterial materials.
- Hypoallergenic and breathable design free from BPA, Phthalates ad lead and free from all harsh chemicals.
- The inner cover is waterproof, and the fill is sofer and supportive.
- This Bassinet pillow offers slight and gradual elevation to provide relief to babies.
- The wedge pillow keeps gastric fluids down, eases breathing, and is anti-reflux.
- It provides a 12-degree elevation incline to give the right amount of lift while still being firm with a quick rebound.
- It comes enclosed in a 100% breathable cotton cover, equipped with a zipper for ease of use.
- This wedge pillow is designed for usage in cribs for added support.
- It helps babies sleep better by relieving congestion and discomfort caused by Colic, Reflux, Coughs, and colds.
- The wedge pillow comes with supportive foam, covered in a protective mesh, a breathable liner, and a pair of soft covers.
- It includes pure cotton covers with zippers for convenience that are also machine washable.
- This wedge pillow offers a steep incline of 12 degrees for comfort.
- It is designed to reduce acid reflux and spit-ups in babies, relieve congestion, and results in a better night’s sleep.
- The pillow fits most standard bassinets and measures 15×12.2×2.6 inches in size.
- It comes with an organic cotton cover that is waterproof, hypoallergenic, breathable, chemical-free, and equipped with a non-slippery bottom.
- This wedge pillow provides optimum support to the user.
- It comes enclosed in a soft jersey cover that is easily removable.
- The wedge is portable, lightweight, and easy to position.
- It is machine washable and easy to maintain.
Index Table: Top-Rated Wedge Pillow for Baby
|1||OCCObaby Universal - Baby Crib Wedge Pillow||OCCObaby||98.9|
|2||HiccaPop Crib - Wedge Pillow for Baby||HiccaPop||98.5|
|3||Hidetex Infant - Crib Wedge for Baby||Hidetex||98.2|
|4||Newzealkids Multifunctional - Baby Wedge Pillow||Newzealkids||97.8|
|5||Sweeterbaby Bassinet - Wedge Baby Pillow||Sweeterbaby||97.4|
|6||Aurelius Waterproof - Bassinet Wedge Pillow for Baby||Aurelius||97.1|
|7||Did and Me Crib - Baby Wedge Pillow||Did and Me||96.7|
|8||Cher Bèbè Oval - Baby Basinette Wedge Pillow||Cher Bèbè||96.3|
|9||Zermätte Bassinet - Baby Wedge Pillow||Zermätte||95.9|
|10||LilliJoy Bassinet - Wedge Pillow for Baby||LilliJoy||95.5|
|11||BaeBae Goods Crib Wedge - Baby Wedge Pillow||BaeBae Goods||95.2|
|12||Chibello Bassinet - Wedge Baby Pillow||Chibello||94.8|
|13||Boppy Scallop Trellis - Wedge Pillow||Boppy||94.4|
Table of Contents
- Sleep Positioners: Types and Usage
- Benefits of Wedge Pillows for Baby
- FDA Warning for Baby Wedge Pillows
- Reviews: Best Wedge Pillow for Baby
- OCCObaby® Universal Baby Crib Wedge Pillow
- HiccaPop® Crib Wedge Pillow for Baby
- Hidetex® Infant Crib Wedge for Baby
- Newzealkids® Multifunctional Baby Wedge Pillow
- Sweeterbaby® Bassinet Wedge Baby Pillow
- Aurelius® Waterproof Bassinet Wedge Pillow for Baby
- Did and Me® Crib Baby Wedge Pillow
- Cher Bèbè® Oval Baby Basinette Wedge Pillow
- Zermätte® Bassinet Baby Wedge Pillow
- LilliJoy® Bassinet Wedge Pillow for Baby
- BaeBae Goods® Crib Wedge Baby Wedge Pillow
- Chibello® Bassinet Wedge Baby Pillow
- Boppy® Scallop Trellis Wedge Pillow
- Index Table: Top-Rated Wedge Pillow for Baby