Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you’re a new parent, one of the things you may be wondering is when to start using toddler pillows for your toddler. It can be tricky to figure out what’s best for them and when they’re ready for different stages of sleep.
Toddler pillows offer a range of benefits for toddlers that can make bedtime and naptime easier. They can help toddlers feel safe and secure, make it easier to sleep through the night and keep their heads and necks properly supported. Using a toddler pillow is a great way to promote good sleep habits for your toddler and help them get the rest they need!
This blog post will discuss the benefits of using toddler pillows and when is the best time to make the switch. We’ll also provide some tips on choosing the right pillow for your child.
Keep reading to learn more!
Should You Buy a Toddler Pillow?
First of all, the main question is, should you be getting your baby or toddler a pillow in the first place?
As you will see, there are plenty of warnings about pillows, cot bumpers, and stuffed animals in the bed or crib of a baby as they can cause suffocation risks, and at a later stage can aid your older baby is trying to climb out of a crib and injure themselves. However, I do not think that a flat pillow can be used for climbing or be a suffocation risk for an older baby or toddler that can move around independently.
Babies generally do not need a pillow until they are a certain age. So I would generally not recommend a pillow for a baby under two years old or that still uses a crib.
However, this is debatable, and of course, entirely up to the development and abilities of your baby.
According to studies, the safest and best time to use a toddler pillow is when they are at least two years old and use a bed rather than a cot or crib.
Then again, you also need to consider materials and pillow covers that are hypoallergenic, natural, and safe from potent smells and allergens for toddlers.
Some materials and fills deem to be better than others for your toddler.
Besides just pillows for sleeping, you may also find yourself needing a good pillow for travel to use for the trip itself, and at the destination, in this case, you can look at some toddler travel pillows, that are ideal.
How to Ensure Safe Sleeping for Toddlers?
So how exactly do you secure your toddler for safe sleeping in their crib or bed?
Most children over two years of age can sleep with a pillow without any risk, so most pillows are safe for them. With Younger toddlers, you will need to implement a few additions and ensure that pillows’ selection suits their size and needs properly.
- Bed Safety – Bed rails or bumpers designed specifically for adult beds or toddler beds are the best way to secure a toddler when they first start to sleep in their bed.
- Pillow Safety – A Flat and firm pillow design will be ideal for them and fully support their neck and shoulders in any sleeping position.
- Minimal Bedding – Try to use less bedding and stuffed toys in their bed that can cause clutter, discomfort, or suffocation risks. Rather opt for a single warm and thick blanket and one stuffed toy for their comfort.
- Bedside Pads – For additional security, you can also place a fall mat or bedside pad next to the bed of your toddler to prevent injuries if they accidentally fall out of bed. Or you can use them for training your toddler to sleep without rails, for your peace of mind.
Features of a Good Toddler Pillow
- Cover – The Cover of the Pillow should consist of lightweight and breathable materials such as cotton or bamboo. Also, make sure that it is removable for washing. Most Pillow covers for toddlers will be hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant which is ideal. I would also recommend that you purchase an additional waterproof cover, especially for toddlers if the cover is not already waterproof.
- Fill – Rather stick to synthetic fills such as memory foam and fibers, as many toddlers tend to be allergic to feathers, or buckwheat and hemp may be too hard. Though you do not want a very soft fill, I recommend polyester and microfiber. However, latex and memory foam are the best foam fills, and they also come in a solid or shredded option.
- Support – Your toddler pillow should be a medium-firm loft that is not too soft or hard for optimal support and have a very low loft or design.
- Size – A toddler does not need a standard or larger sized pillow. Generally, you get smaller-sized pillows designed specifically for toddlers that perfectly fit toddler beds. The best size would be around 10 by 18 or 14 by 16 inches for a toddler. These sizes also ideally fit in a toddler-sized bed.
Reviews: The Best Toddler Pillows
Listed below are some optimal choices in pillows for toddlers.
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- The Keababies toddler pillow is rated as one of the best available toddler pillows.
- It has an ergonomic design and is tested for proper spinal support for toddlers.
- The pillow is durable and fully washable.
- It is a natural cotton pillowcase with foam fill.
- The Dreamtown pillow for toddlers and kids is another top favorite.
- It is a Chiropractor recommended ergonomic pillow.
- The size is ideal for toddlers, and it has a perfectly fitting white pillowcase.
- It has a polyester and cotton blend design.
- The Little One’s Pillow is a delicate and ideal pillow for toddlers.
- It has a natural organic cotton shell that is safe and hypoallergenic.
- The pillow is super soft and has a supportive firmer fill.
- It is a tailormade for toddlers and the perfect size and shape.
- The Little Sleepyhead Store brings you their favorite toddler pillow.
- It has a hypoallergenic natural cotton cover.
- The pillow has a firm enough fill and is a perfect size.
- It is also quite portable.
- From Coop Home Goods, we have a premium toddler pillow.
- The pillow is the perfect size at 14 by 19 inches.
- It has a low memory foam fill and a soft touch bamboo cover,
- The pillow is Greenguard certified and adjustable as your child grows.
- The WavveUziz toddler pillow is also a good choice.
- It has a memory foam fill and contains cooling gel to prevent overheating.
- The pillow is the perfect toddler size at ten by 18 inches.
- It also has an ergonomic curved design for proper support and a soft washable cover.
- Aloudy toddler pillows have no smell technology.
- It has a perfect shape that keeps the toddler’s head and spine straight in line.
- The pillow is made up of 100% hypoallergenic material.
- It has a smooth surface because of an organic cotton cover.
- MLILY features three adjustable foam layers for better comfort.
- It has a breathable design.
- The pillow comes with a removable cover, and it’s washable also.
- It has a countered design for a better head position.
- The pillows are CertiPUR-US Certified for safety.
- Woolino pillows have high-quality material and are approved by Oeko-Tex.
- All pillows are Phthalate-free, BPA-free, Lead-free, latex-free, formaldehyde-free, and aren’t treated with flame retardants.
- The pillows are machine washable.
- They have temperature regulating technology wool filling, which is hypoallergenic as well.
- RESTCLOUD pillows feature two heights for side sleeper and back sleeper. The pillow has a lower height in the middle and higher on both sides.
- The pillow cover is made of 1st-grade cotton which is free of non-fluorescent agents and formaldehyde.
- It provides excellent spine support.
- The pillow is made of breathable material.
Index Table: Top Rated Toddler Pillows
|1||KeaBabies Organic Cotton - Toddler Pillow||KeaBabies||98.5|
|2||Dreamtown Kids Washable - Toddler Pillow With Pillowcase||Dreamtown Kids||98.2|
|3||Little One’s Pillow Organic - Cotton Washable Toddler Pillow||Little One’s Pillow||97.9|
|4||Little Sleepy Head Hypoallergenic - Soft Toddler Pillow||Little Sleepy Head||97.7|
|5||Coop Home Goods Premium - Toddler Pillow||Coop Home Goods||97.6|
|6||wavveUziz Memory Foam - Toddler Pillow||wavveUziz||97.5|
|7||Aloudy Memory Foam - Toddler Pillow With Cotton Cover||Aloudy||97|
|8||MLILY Adjustable Cooling - Bed Pillow for Toddler||MLILY||96.5|
|9||Woolino Oeko-Tex Certified - Wool Toddler Pillow||Woolino||96.4|
|10||RESTCLOUD Memory Foam - Toddler Pillow||RESTCLOUD||96.3|
Table of Contents
- Should You Buy a Toddler Pillow?
- How to Ensure Safe Sleeping for Toddlers?
- Features of a Good Toddler Pillow
- Reviews: The Best Toddler Pillows
- KeaBabies® Organic Cotton Toddler Pillow
- Dreamtown Kids® Washable Toddler Pillow With Pillowcase
- Little One’s Pillow® Organic Cotton Washable Toddler Pillow
- Little Sleepy Head® Hypoallergenic Soft Toddler Pillow
- Coop Home Goods® Premium Toddler Pillow
- wavveUziz® Memory Foam Toddler Pillow
- Aloudy® Memory Foam Toddler Pillow With Cotton Cover
- MLILY® Adjustable Cooling Bed Pillow for Toddler
- Woolino® Oeko-Tex Certified Wool Toddler Pillow
- RESTCLOUD® Memory Foam Toddler Pillow
- Index Table: Top Rated Toddler Pillows