Do you suffer from the mortifying discomfort of a neck or back pain?
Do you find that the pain is worse after sleeping?
It could well be that you are neglecting to support your spine properly and are in need of a sleeping pillow that provides the required neck and back support to alleviate any associated pain and discomfort.
The Relationship between Neck and Back Pain
Many people wonder why they suffer from neck and back pain after sleeping.
It seems counter-intuitive, as one should wake up feeling refreshed, relaxed, and ready to tackle the new day.
The answer as to why this occurs is very simple, and often neck and back pain will go hand-in-hand because of it.
The spine is fragile, made up of many discs that hold your back up in place.
If this structure is compromised in any way or put into any position that is not conducive to good posture, it will lead to back and neck pain over time.
When the spine is put out of alignment, the discs going all the way along it are also compromised and put under the same strain, so even having a hip problem could result in back and neck pain.
Sleeping puts people’s spines out due to the position they keep their spines in while asleep.
Having a Straight Spine is the Ultimate Neck and Back Pain Treatment
The best treatments for back and neck pains from sleeping tend to be therapeutic pillows that adjust your spine to the right position when you’re asleep.
The most ergonomic design that is used continuously to support your back while sleeping tends to dip in the middle to hold your head in the right place. The core design never changes, but density, materials, shapes, and sizes all differ on the market, to account for different needs.
The best way to know if you are holding your posture in the correct way when sleeping on your back is to try the pen test.
If you can manage to balance a pen on your forehead while laying back to sleep, and it doesn’t fall off, you have achieved the perfect posture.
If it falls, it means your spine is not straight, and you should consider better support to remedy your back and neck pain.
Best Therapeutic Pillow Materials for Neck and Back Pain
The best materials for orthopedic cushions that help to alleviate neck and back pain would have to be made from a very supportive material; that has an element of softness to it.
Currently, memory foam takes the lead in therapeutic pillow technology, holding your shape perfectly while still allowing you just to sink right in.
Other materials for pillows that are good for back and neck pain relief would be shredded memory foam, foam, shredded foam, and firmly packed stuffing substitutes.
For the best pillow covers to enhance sleep, cotton or materials that are perforated are the best because then you will not wake up with hot flashes or night sweats. Perforation allows for even distribution of heat.
If you suffer from swelling or injury in the neck, it would be highly recommended for you to look for a medical support pillow that has a cooling gel inside it to promote the best sleep possible.
Reviews: Best Pillows for Neck and Back Pain
Do not let back pain or neck pain have the best of you; make sure that you use a pillow that provides ample back and neck support, keeping your spine well-aligned.
Below are listed some of the best options in pillows for those suffering from back or neck pain;
The Tri-Core Cervical Pillow comes in three different sizes for larger or smaller personnel with back and neck complaints, which are seeking a refreshing nights’ sleep.
- One of the sizes available is suitable for children and young teens with neck and back pain who struggle to sleep.
- Perfect for neck or side sleepers who have migraines, neck pain, or back pain after sleeping.
- Rotate the pillow to its other side if you need more or less support.
- A medically endorsed cervical pillow, the tri-core is recommended by medical experts for full neck and spine support.
- Filled with hypoallergenic fibers and breathable cotton cover allows for no-sweat sleeping.
- This contour pillow comes in an ideal size to fit all types of sleepers.
- It supports the neck, back, and shoulders due to its special design and different heights in the front and back for optimum support.
- It follows the contours of the head and neck to provide support, promote muscle relaxation, relieve pain, and alleviate shoulder stiffness.
- The pillow is made with high-density, slow rebound, memory foam, with a temperature regulating mechanism for proper ventilation.
The Mkicesky Back and Neck Pillow is an orthopedic pillow that is specially constructed from the best quality of memory foam available (100% polyurethane) and will allow you to sleep all night comfortably long.
- Ultimate cervical support, besides unmatched comfort, will leave you feeling refreshed upon waking.
- Ergonomically crafted to support your neck, back, and shoulders while you sleep, which is effective in treating neck and back pain and symptoms.
- The cover is eco-friendly, made from bamboo fibers, removable, and one can wash it conveniently inside the washing machine.
- Perfect for side sleepers and back sleepers who suffer from back pain, hip pain, neck pain, or migraines.
A back and neck pain pillow with a difference from Nature’s Guest.
- A Chiropractic and Orthopedic recommended the design.
- Ideal for side and back sleepers.
- Fully adjustable design.
- Hypoallergenic premium quality cover and materials.
The butterfly design of the CNBEYOUNG Bed Pillow is the best possible orthopedic design for neck and back support, holding your neck in the center with a perfectly straight spine.
- It is covered in bamboo fiber rayon cover and 100% friendly for skin. Also, it guarantees a sweat-free night.
- A fantastic solution for side sleepers as a neck and back pain treatment, with enough leverage on either side to hold your spine straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Light-weight, the material is cooling and useful for reducing swelling during sleep.
- Made from hypoallergenic memory foam and can hold your shape exactly how your body needs to be supported during sleep.
A firm and breathable memory foam pillow that ideally supports your neck and aligns your spine.
- A gel-infused Memory foam fill for breathability and cooling.
- Double-sided design for every season.
- Firm loft for medium support.
- Double pillowcase with no odors.
A pillow for side sleeping helps to ease back and neck pain.
- Cool Silk breathable and cooling cover.
- Firm support and U-Shaped design for optimal support.
- It is made from high quality and durable materials.
- Easily portable size and structure.
- This is a specially designed pillow with an ergonomic design for cervical support.
- It cradles and supports the curve of the neck to help ease discomfort.
- The memory foam supports proper spinal alignment to relieve neck, shoulder, and back pain by allowing the muscles to relax.
- It is made with premium quality materials, high-density memory foam, as well as breathable inner and outer covers.
The Customsleeping Adjustable Neck Support Orthopedic Bed Sleeping Pillow can be adjusted by removing the foam filling from one pocket inside the pillow and moving it into the desired region for more or less support.
- The foam filling is made from a very specialized medical-grade Gel Memory-Cluster fiber, which will shape your exact contour and give you support as well as comfort.
- Made in the USA, this cervical pillow is 100% hypoallergenic, hygienic, anti-bacterial, and dust mite resistant.
- This pillow is very long-lasting, machine washable, and comes with a 5year warranty.
- It provides fantastic back and neck support which will remedy back pain, neck pain, pain in the hips and joints as well as migraines!
- Available in Queen, Queen Firm, King, and King Firm sizes.
One of the best features of the very comfortable Neck Hero back and neck support pillow is that it is portable and can be used for sleeping in bed or reclining on a sofa.
- Ideal for individuals with upper back and neck pain and can be used in combination with other pillows for maximized comfort.
- Conveniently comes with a travel case, pillow cover, and neck support pillow.
- The Marnur comes in 3 different firmness, soft, medium, and firm, for helping to treat all different kinds of back and neck pains and problems.
- Easy to keep clean and is machine washable.
Comparison Table: Best Neck & Back Pain Pillows
Table of Contents
- The Relationship between Neck and Back Pain
- Having a Straight Spine is the Ultimate Neck and Back Pain Treatment
- Best Therapeutic Pillow Materials for Neck and Back Pain
- Reviews: Best Pillows for Neck and Back Pain
- Tri-Core® Cervical Pillow for Back and Neck Pain
- Wonwo® Cervical Supporting Memory Foam Pillow
- Mkicesky® Innovative Orthopedic Back and Neck Pillow
- Nature’s Guest® Adjustable Cervical Back and Neck Pain Pillow
- CNBEYOUNG® Cervical Contour Design Bed Pillow for Back and Neck Pain
- Milemont® Memory Foam Back and Neck Pain Pillow
- MKYUHP® Side Sleeper Back and Neck Pain Pillow for Side Sleepers
- NouvoHome® Orthopedic Contoured Neck & Back Pillow
- Customsleeping® Cervical Orthopedic Adjustable Neck Support Bed Sleeping Pillow
- MARNUR® Firm Neck and Back Support Pillow
- Comparison Table: Best Neck & Back Pain Pillows