Hip pain is quite a common complaint among many individuals and can be most uncomfortable during the night when you are trying to sleep.
By using a supportive pillow that offers you pain and stress relief you can have a good night’s rest without worrying about hip pain or discomfort.
Causes and Treatment
There are so many causes related to hip pain, here are just a few of them;
- Hip pain can be caused by some types of Arthritis such as Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Septic Arthritis.
- Injuries such as dislocation, Bursitis, Fractures, sprains, tendinitis, Sciatica and a hernia in the hip can likewise cause pain and stiffness.
- Some cancer types such as Bone cancers and leukemia are likely to affect your hips in time.
- Infections in the bone or inflammation in the joints of the hip are likewise culprits when it comes to hip pain.
- Osteoporosis usually found in older individuals can cause serious hip pain and stiffness.
Treatments and Managing Hip Pain
- When you have inflammation in your hip joints or pain as a cause of an injury, it is always the best idea to limit pain-causing activities and to take a few days to rest.
- An ice pack can help to ease pain and swelling on the affected area.
- Pain and inflammation medication will likewise provide some relief.
- The best way to reduce pain and discomfort particularly at night is to use a pillow to elevate your legs or knees in such a manner that the hip is perfectly aligned.
- A knee pillow is an excellent choice in hip pain relief.
- Furthermore stretching and exercise may help, particularly in the case of the individual has a form of arthritis.
- Walking in a shallow pool or on a flat surface is an ideal exercise for hip pain, and similarly, swimming, bike riding, and yoga.
What to Avoid When You Have Hip Pain
- Try to avoid intense exercising and running.
- Avoid any activity that requires you to move your leg away from your body.
- Avoid doing strength training such as squats or any form of exercise involving heavyweights.
- Do not perform any activity that puts extra pressure on your hip joints
Preventing Hip Pain When Sleeping
Hip Pain seems to be at its worst while you are sleeping, no matter what the cause is. Investing in a good knee or body pillow seems to be the best available options to provide you with the right support for effective pain relief.
However, here are a few tips you can follow just as well;
- You can change your sleeping position and use your pillows as bolsters or supports to find a position which causes you the least pain.
- Make sure that your mattress is not the cause of your hip pain, I would suggest investing in a latex or memory foam mattress.
- Try to practice good sleeping habits to better your sleeping pattern, avoid alcohol and screen time before bed, make your bedroom less cluttered and more rest and peace-friendly.
- Performing a few hip stretches before going to bed can help to work out the tension in your hips, and equally reduce pain.
- Invest in either a full body pregnancy pillow or a good knee or Bolster pillow for additional support while sleeping.
The Best Pillow Types for Hip Pain
One of the most common and best types of pillows to relieve hip pain is the knee pillow. This is a small contoured pillow that your clench between your knees when sleeping which helps to align your spine and hips in such a manner as to reduce stress on the joints and eliminate pain.
This type of pillow likewise aids with back, knee, leg, and ankle pain, and aids in giving you’re a better sleeping posture.
The Full Body Pillow
A pillow mostly used in pregnancy, giving you the functionality of three pillows in one. This pillow comes either in a C-shape or straight and is adjustable to suit your needs. I have found this pillow to be able to serve the same function as a knee pillow while giving you further support for your back, neck, shoulders, and head. It is similarly ideal for any possible sleeping position.
Half Moon Bolster Pillow
The Bolster pillow, when it comes to hip pain, is mainly placed under your knees when sleeping on your back to give you better alignment and relieve pressure. It can also be used for lumbar support when you are sitting.
Reviews: The Best Pillow Brands for Hip Pain
Here are some ideal choices in Pillows that will help to alleviate and prevent hip pain;
The ComfoLife Knee Pillow has a contoured design and memory foam filing to provide orthopedic relief from not only hip pain but similarly back, leg and joint pain.
An ergonomic design knee pillow that fits comfortably between your knees for maximum support and comfort during the night, helping to relieve hip, back, leg and joint pain.
It is filled with premium high-density memory foam that will keep its shape over time.
The contoured design will keep your legs hips, and spine in the perfect alignment while you are sleeping, and likewise improve circulation.
The cover is very easy to clean and super breathable with a zipper closure, and cooling technology.
A very versatile and highly effective half-moon Bolster pillow. The Semi roll wedge can be used for any sleeping position between or under your legs, behind your back, under your head, and likewise as lumbar support when sitting or as a leg rest.
- This pillow offers effective pain relief and stress relief for your back, legs, hips, ankles, and neck.
- Filled with 100% Visco-Elastic and highly hypoallergenic memory foam, that offers excellent support and never flattens.
- Covered by a superbly breathable and light, cooling cotton cover, that is fully machine washable.
- Offers effective orthopedic pain relief, and is recommended by chiropractors and physical therapists.
- Also ideal to use during pregnancy.
This is idealistically a pillow for pregnant women, but I have found them to be extremely effective to use even when not pregnant for the back, hip and leg pain.
This is a full body pillow that you can adjust and use as you see fit for sleeping, lounging or even just sitting on, it has so many uses and offers so much pain and stress relief for every part of your body.
- A C-Shaped Full body Pillow which supports your back, knees, hips, neck, and head.
- The adjustable Polyfill material adapts to your body and gives you the ideal shape and firmness.
- Offers the support of three or more pillows in one.
- Comes with a Lifetime Manufactures Warranty.
- Covered with a soft and comfortable jersey cover.
When it comes to hip pain, the knee pillow is the absolute ideal as it aids in realigning your hips and spine to offer the best posture and stress relief. The Cushy form Knee pillow works with your body heat to give you the best support and comfort in a knee pillow.
- Contoured shape offering the best in back, leg, hip, ankle, joint, and knee pain, as well as providing proper spinal alignment.
- Improves circulation for side sleepers.
- A cushy memory foam fill and form that is cool and soft in warm weather and firmer and warmer in cooler weather.
- The pillow likewise reacts to your body heat becoming softer with the heat your reflect, although always returning to its shape afterward.
- Comes with a fully washable and breathable cover, and a free carry bag.
Yet another outstanding selection in knee pillows, the Everlasting Comfort, comes with an adjustable and removable strap to keep it in place, as well as an additional pair of earplugs as a bonus treat.
- A removable and adjustable hook and loop strap to keep the pillow perfectly placed between your knees while you are sleeping.
- Filled with pure high quality and resilient memory foam.
- The free earplugs are also made from soft and durable memory foam and will aid in reducing background noises.
- An ergonomic curved design with orthopedic contour for the ideal spacing between your knees to support and align your legs and hips.
- Manufactured from pure memory foam
Being a side and tummy sleeper myself, I found the perfect match that will provide you with full support and comfort in these sleeping positions, the CustomSleeping Full Body Pillow. This pillow will put the function of three pillows into one comfortable and hypoallergenic pillow.
- Filled with CertiPUR-US certified memory foam that is superbly flexible and moldable, with one of a kind, soft Gel cluster fiber blend that has a cooling function.
- The Memory foam is likewise hypoallergenic and will prevent the collection of dust and dust mites.
- It is covered with a premium bamboo-derived rayon cover that is soft on your skin, hypoallergenic, antibacterial and fully washable.
- This pillow fully adjusts and contours to your body’s curves giving you the most comfortable and supportive position.
- Likewise an ideal pillow for pregnancy.
As you can see the best pillow for hip pain is after all the knee pillow, although a full body pillow or bolster pillow can offer you similar relief, with more versatile benefits.
I have chosen the best brands and models in these pillow types, all who have exceptional and unique features that will offer you the best pain and pressure relief.
Index Table: The Best Pillows for Hip Pain
|1||ComfiLife Orthopedic - Hip, Leg, Back and Joint Pain Knee Pillow||ComfiLife||97|
|2||Beautiful Life Pain Relief - Half Moon Bolster Pillow||Beautiful Life||97|
|3||PharMeDoc Pregnancy - Pillow For Back and Hip Pain||PharMeDoc||96|
|4||Cushy Form Knee Pillow - Hip Pain Relief Pillow||Cushy Form||98|
|5||Everlasting Comfort Adjustable - memory Foam Knee Pillow for Hip Pain||Everlasting Comfort||98|
|6||CustomSleeping Snuggle - Full Body Hip Pain Pillow||CustomSleeping||99|
Please Rate this Article:
Table of Contents
- Causes and Treatment
- Preventing Hip Pain When Sleeping
- The Best Pillow Types for Hip Pain
- Reviews: The Best Pillow Brands for Hip Pain
- ComfiLife® Orthopedic Hip, Leg, Back and Joint Pain Knee Pillow
- Beautiful Life® Pain Relief Half Moon Bolster Pillow
- PharMeDoc® Pregnancy Pillow For Back and Hip Pain
- Cushy Form® Knee Pillow Hip Pain Relief Pillow
- Everlasting Comfort® Adjustable memory Foam Knee Pillow for Hip Pain
- CustomSleeping® Snuggle Full Body Hip Pain Pillow
- In Conclusion
- Index Table: The Best Pillows for Hip Pain