Did you know that your pillow is used over 2500 per year, it is so much more than just something to rest your head on? Your pillow is a vital part of getting a good night’s rest and feeling refreshed the next morning.
This in mind, it is so important to invest in the right type of pillow for your personal comfort needs.
In this article, I am concentrating on “Heavy” pillows, pillows that are sturdy, firm, and have some weight to them.
What is a Heavy Pillow
To be frank, there is not really a classification for “Heavy pillows” rather just pillow fills that bear more weight than other fills.
A heavy pillow tends to be more durable and can bear more weight in general, and it is much more substantial than its lighter weight counterparts. Soe us may prefer a heavier and firmer loft p[illow, that is also a bit more heavy-duty and long-lasting.
I myself am a fan of a heavier and more bulky and firm pillow loft and find that it provides me the best comfort for all sleeping positions, as to tend to sleep in all positions, especially on my side.
Heavy Pillow Types and Fills
Although there are a vast array of Pillow types, shapes, sizes covers and fills on the market today, even when it comes to heavy pillows, they each have their own pros and cons, and there are a few that you are more likely to find mainstream.
Below I am listing some of your easy to find and more basic heavy fill pillow types, and why they are the best options;
- Latex Fill – We kick off with my favorite, the Latex Filled pillow which in most cases consists of solid latex foam, and on a rare occasion you will find shredded Latex which is even better as a fill. Latex is a natural and hypoallergenic substance that does not lose its shape, offers firm support, and retain a soft and comfortable feel. Latex filled pillows are very durable and heavy-duty, and they do carry plenty of weight. Latex is breathable, much more than memory foam, stays cool, and offers excellent support. Although Latex is not moldable may have a slight rubbery odor as it is made from the rubber tree. If you are looking for a heavy pillow, Latex is very dense and heavy, but still comfortable and soft enough. Because of the high density of Latex, they normally have quite a high loft and are therefore not recommended for stomach sleepers, although they are great for side and back sleeping.
- Solid Memory Foam – The one we have all heard of and come to seek is the Memory Foam filled pillow. Memory foam is manufactured from polyurethane and some chemical parts, so it is not as natural as Latex or some other natural fills. Yet memory foam still remains safe and hypoallergenic. One thing about memory foam that stands out above all other pillow fills is that it is very MOLDABLE and adjustable, conforming to your natural shape and contours easily. Memory foam likewise returns and retains its shape after use, so there are no worries about your pillow flattening over time. Latex memory foam is also quite heavy in weight and very durable and heavy-duty. Many memory foam pillow comes with a hypoallergenic and natural Bamboo cover, which also has better cooling and moisture-wicking properties, as memory foam has a tendency to retain heat. Memory foam filling will not clump, does not require fluffing, and offers the best support for almost all sleeping positions, including stomach sleeping, where a lower loft is required. Although, because it is a solid foam, you cannot adjust the loft, and memory foam may likewise have a slight chemical odor at first.
Shredded Memory Foam – The same as memory foam, made from the same material, in this case, it is just shredded to allow you the option of adjusting the loft and offers better ventilation than the solid foam. Shredded memory foam is still heavy in weight, though not as heavy as its solid brother.
Buckwheat Fill Pillow – last but not least on the heavy list, I have the Buckwheat fill pillow. Buckwheat is all-natural and hypoallergenic and gives you an adjustable loft option. Buckwheat likewise has a bit more substance, so it is heavier than other natural grain alternatives, and it is very durable with a long life span. Buckwheat pillows offer excellent support that is breathable, moldable and will hold its shape. Even better, it is constructed of all-natural and degradable materials that are safe for you and the environment. Buckwheat pillows are ideal for side, back, and stomach sleepers so everyone can enjoy their benefits. The only disadvantage of a Buckwheat pillow is that it is very firm and heavy, which in any case, is exactly what we are looking for in this instance.
Features of a Good Heavy Pillow
- It offers good firm support and has a sturdy loft.
- Heavy-duty and highly durable.
- A comfortable, washable, and durable cover.
- Bamboo and cotton are the best cover materials.
- Buckwheat, Latex, or memory foam Fill.
- The option of shredded Latex or memory foam.
- Cooling gel top layer or infusion as an added feature.
- Heavy and bulky with a high density.
Reviews: The Best Heavy Pillows
Here are some of the best available heavy pillows with either latex, buckwheat, or memory foam fills;
- Environmentally friendly and 100% natural Latex filling that is heavier and more substantial, with no harmful chemicals or synthetic substances.
- It comes with a naturally breathable and cooling cotton cover.
- Available in either high or low profile options as well as standard king or queen size options.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant Latex is also naturally antibacterial.
- A great choice if you are looking for a heavier and firmer pillow.
For something that is a bit more pliable and softer to sleep on yet still bears some weight, I would opt for the Shredded Latex Pillow.
- A 100% Gots Certified pure shredded latex pillow made from all-natural organic Latex with a certified organic cotton cover.
- Latex, especially shredded Latex, is more pliable and soft while still keeping its shape.
- There is a double zipper cotton cover that is removable and washable, included.
- Designed for maximum airflow and breathability to keep you cool and comfortable.
From Coop Home Goods, we have the very popular and sought after adjustable memory foam Fill pillow that comes with additional memory foam that you can fill the pillow with for the perfect loft and profile.
- Medium-firm support with shredded memory foam.
- Memory foam offers some weight and a more solid loft.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant memory foam and machine washable cotton cover.
- Greenguard Gold certified memory foam is used that is also CertiPUR-US certified.
- Available in a King or Queen size option to choose from.
The solid memory foam pillow from Comfort and Relax has a substantial and firm loft and heavy feel to it, though it is completely breathable and well ventilated with the innovative AirCell technology.
- A patent design memory foam filled pillow with AirCell technology, for better ventilation and breathability, along with a breathable jersey cover.
- Also, features infused Gel for cooling effects.
- A square design which also accommodates stomach sleepers, making this pillow ideal for all sleeping position.
- Completely safe CentiPUR-US certified memory foam is used that is hypoallergenic and free from any toxins.
- Available in different size options to choose from.
One of the most popular and sought after Buckwheat fill pillows is the ComfySleep, I have chosen their traditional and most popular Buckwheat pillow, which comes with extra hulls so you can adjust the loft of your pillow.
- Ensures superior support and comfort for restful sleep.
- Completely breathable with a naturally breathable cover.
- Chemical-free and all-natural Buckwheat filling, and comes with additional fill.
- Adjustable design, so you can choose the perfect loft and profile for your pillow.
- The zipper closure is invisible and highly durable.
- Available in either a king or queen-sized option
- Responsive memory foam fill that offers excellent ergonomic support.
- Antimicrobial and dust mite resistant memory foam and cover.
- Medium-firm and plush feel.
- Comes with a premium plush velour feel removable and washable pillow cover.
- An Organic Latex Fill Pillow that is highly resilient and offers firm support.
- It is covered with a 100% natural cotton cover.
- Hypoallergenic and breathable that is also dust mite and mold resistant.
- Comes in different size selections.
- It is filled with premium Shredded memory foam for a plush and medium-firm feel.
- It is covered with an organic bamboo cover that is breathable, cooling, and antimicrobial.
- Orthopedically support the head and neck for all-night comfort.
- Certi-PUR Certified memory foam and free from chemicals and flame retardants.
- This heavy pillow comes filled with high-quality, resilient, shredded memory foam to allow it to adjust according to the shape of the head and neck.
- It comes with a washable and breathable cover made with a mix of 60% Polyester and 40% Bamboo-derived Rayon that is soft to the touch.
- The pillow comes equipped with a zipper to allow you to modify the filling according to your needs.
- This pack contains a pair of queen size pillows designed using unique quilting to prevent leakage.
- This heavy pillow comes with 100% German imported filling with a ratio of 30% 2.5D high quality fiber and 70% 7D high quality fibergel.
- The cover is made with Egyptian cotton that is soft and luxurious to the touch.
- It is designed ergonomically with a three-point curve to support the head, neck, and shoulders at the same time.
- The cover is hypoallergenic and designed to be machine washable for convenience.
Index Table: Top Rated Heavy Pillows
Table of Contents
- What is a Heavy Pillow
- Heavy Pillow Types and Fills
- Features of a Good Heavy Pillow
- Reviews: The Best Heavy Pillows
- JUVEA® All Natural Heavy solid LatexPillow
- PureTree® Organics Heavy Shredded Latex Pillow
- Coop Home Goods® Premium Heavy Pillow with Shredded Memory Foam Fill
- Comfort and Relax® Ventilated Heavy Solid Memory Foam Pillow
- ComfySleep® Traditional Heavy Pillow with Buckwheat Fill
- Classic Brands® Conforma Ventilated Heavy Pillow
- All Natural® Latex heavy Organic Latex Pillow Pillow
- Snuggle Pedic® Ultra-Lucury Hypoallergenic HeavyPillow
- Dreaming Wapiti® Heavy Duty Shredded Memory Foam
- SORMAG® Luxury Hotel Heavy Gel Pillow
- Index Table: Top Rated Heavy Pillows