Backpacking is a fun adventure with the exhilaration of hiking and the simplicity of backcountry camping. You can easily broaden your horizons and enjoy a much richer and more immersive experience with Backpacking.
The Key equipment in Backpacking is, of course, your BACKPACK, keeping in mind that you need to keep all your key essentials in your backpack and carry it around with you. One of those key essentials is, of course, your trusty pillow.
Tips for Beginner Backpackers
First-time backpackers are in for a real treat, but there are a few pointers that I would like to share with you;
- Choose and Easy Desitination – For starters, a short overnight trip or hike is best, which is also close to home should there be an emergency.
- Get All your Essentials Only – Do not try to be too fancy or over-enthusiastic when it comes to buying your clothes and gear for the trip; stick to the most essentials, and try to borrow equipment where you can look for starters.
- Plan Your Meals – Pack plenty of snacks and get some ready-to-eat meals, or plan where and how you will eat out or prepare your meals.
- Get to Know Your Destiantion – Get the proper maps and necessary documentation, and make sure that you know all the ins and outs of your destination.
- Take an Experienced Backpacker Along With You – One of your best bets as a First Time Backpacker is, of course, to tag along with an experienced Backpacking friend on your trip.
Finding the Best Backpacking Pillow
In this article, my main concern is to help both experienced and beginner backpackers to find the most comfortable and least space-taking pillow that they can take along on the trip. Whether you will sleep in a tent outdoors or a local backpacker’s hotel taking your comfortable pillow is always your best bet, also for those instances where you may need an alternative sleeping area.
You will need to get a comfortable sleeping system for sleeping outdoors; A sleeping bag, sleeping pad, or Yoga mat, and of course, your pillow, as after a long day of backpacking, a comfortable night’s rest is essential to your next day to stay energized.
When it comes to pillows, there are pros and cons to every camping, Backpacking, and portable pillow type, so here are a few pillow types to consider;
- Stuff Sack Pillow – This is a pillow made from your clothing, jackets, and soft materials stuffed into a sack to be used as a pillow. If you have good stuffing, this is a great idea; if not, you are in for a rough night.
- Inflatable Pillows – These are very lightweight, compact and easily portable. Yet when inflated, they may become deflated during the night, and they are quite firm to sleep on.
- Compressible Pillows – very comfortable and luxurious. These are usually made of shredded foam or memory foam pillows that can compress very small and expand rapidly when you take them out. They are comfortable but will add some weight to your backpack.
- Hybrid Pillow – This pillow usually has an air top and some foam stuffing, making it more comfortable than the inflatable pillow, yet a bit lighter than your memory foam compressible pillows.
These are only a few favorite options in Backpacking Pillows that you can consider.
Features of a Good Backpacking Pillow
- It can be compressed.
- Portable size and shape and easily fit inside your backpack.
- Easily Inflatable for inflatable pillows.
- Durable and washable cover design.
- Compact and easy to store design.
Reviews: The Best Backpacking Pillows
We have listed our top choices in Backpacking Pillows, that is portable and very comfortable;
The Rest A Camp is an inflatable pillow design perfect for Camping, Backpacking, and overall travel.
- Speedy, 5 seconds to inflate and use, and a very lightweight pillow.
- Easy to deflate and store, very small and compact in your backpack.
- Available in many color options to choose from.
- Blow-up design with a durable and breathable cotton cover.
From Wise Owl, we have a soft and plush compressible foam model pillow that will also fit snugly in your backpack and expand when taken out.
- It is filled with comfortable and plush Shredded Memory Foam of the finest quality.
- It comes with a colorful cover from which you have options to choose from.
- It compresses easily and in a small compact shape to fit into your backpack and expand into a comfortable pillow when taken out.
- Quite lightweight for a Compressible pillow and very durable.
The Visco Love Us Backpacking Pillow is another small and compact compressible memory foam pillow ideal for traveling.
- Versatile enough to be used as a camping, car travel, Aeroplane travel, Backpacking, and hotel stay pillow.
- Filled with premium lightweight memory foam and a very lightweight design.
- Ergonomically shaped and offers orthopedic comfort and support.
- The Microcapsules with thermic coatings and ventilation ducts in the pillow allow for better moisture management and breathability.
This is a comfortable and adjustable Hypoallergenic design shredded memory foam, compressible pillow from Coop Home Goods.
- It comes with a breathable and washable cover from pure cotton.
- Filled with premium shredded memory foam that compresses easily and expands again into a soft and comfortable pillow.
- Completely portable and adjustable design, as well as lightweight and durable.
- One of the best choices in a reliable travel companion for any trip.
The Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Pillow is another superb design ideal for Backpacking.
- A hybrid design Pillow with compressible and inflatable technology.
- Ergonomically contoured for optimal neck and shoulder support.
- Very durable with TPU fabric and added layers of head support.
- CInflates easily with the click of a button.
- Available in a few color variations.
A durable and compact design sports and backpacking pillow from Teton that you can take anywhere.
- Available in a few color patterns and completely washable.
- The pillow will loft up on its own and compress again for storage in your backpack, so there is no need for inflating.
- These pillows are designed to match the interior linings of the TETON sports sleeping bag brands.
- Highly durable, lightweight, and versatile for camping, Backpacking, and all travel and outdoor excursions.
- A small and compact portable backpacking pillow.
- Easily compresses to fit in your backpack.
- It comes in many colors and prints with a polyester cover.
- The foam filling expands up to 4 times when it is taken out of the backpack.
- A Very lightweight and compact travel pillow for your backpack.
- Versatile uses and offers excellent comfort and support.
- Available in many colors to choose from with a TPU coating and elastic Polyester cover.
- Ergonomical curved design for optimal support.
- Highly compact and compressible.
- A soft and comfortable inflatable pillow available in different prints and color options.
- Small but inflates into a comfortable size, ideal for backpacks.
- They are ergonomically designed for optimal support and comfort.
- Easily inflates and deflates.
- This compact pillow is designed especially to be portable for camping and backpacking.
- It is inflatable and lightweight, with a reliable valve that does not allow the air to escape, and easily refillable.
- The small pillow can also serve as a back pillow for car seats and office chairs.
- It is easily compressible and weighs only 4Oz.
Index Table: Top Rated Backpacking Pillows
Table of Contents
- Tips for Beginner Backpackers
- Finding the Best Backpacking Pillow
- Features of a Good Backpacking Pillow
- Reviews: The Best Backpacking Pillows
- Rest A Camp® Ultralight Portable Air Backpacking Pillow
- Wise Owl® Compressible Compact Backpacking Pillow
- Visco Love Us® ProComf Memory Foam Backpacking Pillow
- Coop Home Goods® Adjustable Backpacking Pillow
- Trekology® Ultralight Inflatable Backpacking Pillow for Side Sleeper
- Teton® Anytime Backpacking Pillow
- Therm-A-Rest® Portable Backpacking Pillow
- MarchWay® Ultra-Light Compressible Backpacking Pillow
- Wise Owl Outfitters® Inflatable Backpacking Pillow
- RikkiTikki® Ultralight Backpacking Camping Pillow
- Index Table: Top Rated Backpacking Pillows