Growing old is inevitable for all of us, and unfortunately, with age, our body takes its toll and becomes a victim of wear and tear.
This, in turn, can cause many discomforts and pains and aches, which seems to particularly like to picture us during the evening when trying to sleep.
With this in mind, a good positioning pillow can provide much sought after stress relief and pain relief, along with a comfortable sleeping position to ease all your distresses.
The Function of a Positioning Pillow
The name of this pillow says it all. A positioning pillow has the main function of providing you with the best sleeping or sitting position to improve your posture, reduce pain and pressure, and improve relaxation and comfort.
Benefits of a Positioning Pillow for the Elderly
There are just so many benefits to a positioning pillow of every kind;
- A unique shape to comfort and support you into a more soothing and relaxing sleep.
- It can prevent bedsores and ulcers.
- Excellent as a rehabilitation aid after surgery or an injury.
- Great as comfort-enhancing aid for sitting as well as lying down.
Neck and Body Pain
A positioning pillow can be placed under your head and shoulders, such as the Wedge Pillow, to relieve neck and shoulder pain, as well as to help with issues such as GERD and Acid reflux.
Sleeping on your tummy, mainly when you are older, is not very healthy and can cause pain and stiffness. A positioning pillow can help with this regard to reduce strain and give you a more comfortable position to sleep on your tummy. The full body or pregnancy pillow is the perfect choice for sleeping on your side or tummy.
The Knee Pillow
Mainly for individuals who suffer from back, knee, leg, or hip pain, a pillow that is contoured and comfortably placed between the knees can provide much relief. The knee pillow likewise aids in correctly aligning your spine and reducing pressure on your legs, hips, and back.
Arm and Shoulder Positioning Pillows
In this case your full body pregnancy pillow will come in handy again, as you can place it under your arm or rest your arms on it for arm and shoulder pain relief.
Positioning Pillow Types for the Elderly
Here are a few Pillow Types that you can consider;
- The Wedge Pillow – for your legs.
- The Knee Pillow – for back, hip, and knee pain.
- The Wedge Pillow – for your head, neck, and shoulders, and GERD and Acid Reflux relief.
- The Full body pillow – for multiple uses.
- The Lumbar Support Pillow – or Half Moon Bolster.
- The Lumbaaarrr and lower back support flat Pillow
Reviews: The Best Elderly Positioning Pillows
The Bed Wedge Pillow is ideal for individuals who suffer from acid reflux, snoring, GERD and breathing issues. The Bed Wedge riser similarly promotes much better sleep and offer much-needed support for your back, neck, and shoulders.
- A high-density memory foam top with Cushy Form, which contours to the shape of your body and works uniquely with your body heat.
- Offers exceptional back, shoulder and neck support, and will aid in preventing acid reflux and GERD, as well as improving breathing, and reducing snoring.
- The breathable and washable cover is soft and comfortable while helping to maintain ideal temperatures.
- Multi purpose function as a sitting aid when reading or watching television.
I have found that very little compares to the full body pregnancy pillow when it comes to pain-relieving comfort and support. The Queen Rose is not just ideal for pregnant women, but perfect for the elderly as a positioning pillow for sleeping and sitting, providing adjustable all over body support.
- A unique ergonomic design that follows the natural shape of your body that supports both your back and front.
- Offers excellent pain relief particularly for individuals with Arthritis, Sciatica; Fibromyalgia or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- This pillow will replace all your standard pillows and offer one solution for all.
- The Pure velvet cover is machine washable and available in different color options.
This pillow does an excellent job in relieving back pain, but is likewise exceptionally beneficial to improve circulation and reducing stress on your spine. An outstanding choice post-surgery or injury to speed up the healing process, and great for swollen legs or Edema.
- A two-layered design with a top memory foam layer and a firm foam base for soft comfort and firm support.
- Aids in improving circulation and relieving back pain by correctly aligning your spine.
- It is covered with a 400 thread count Egyptian cotton cover which is breathable and removable for washing.
- Cushioned comfort and relief that is ideal for the elderly.
A versatile supportive positioning pillow that can be placed under your lower back, under the knees, stomach, and ankles for pressure relief, as well as being suitable for back and side sleepers.
- Manufactured with premium medical grade memory foam filling and a cotton fiber cover.
- The ergonomic design will fit comfortably between your waist and keep your hips, legs, and spine in perfect alignment to alleviate back, leg, and hip pain.
- The premium memory foam will retain its shape while being hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and dust mite resistant.
- Multi-functional capabilities this pillow can be placed anywhere for effective support and relief for both back and side sleepers.
- Likewise, it is very effective as a pregnancy pillow.
The ComfiLife Knee positioning pillow is ideal to use if you suffer from back, hip, or knee pain. This pillow is placed between your knees, particularly when side sleeping, and offers you the optimal alignment and pressure relief.
- An ergonomic design that fits comfortably between your knees for maximum support as well as Sciatica, Back, Hip and Leg pain relief.
- It is filled with premium high-density memory foam that will provide long-lasting comfort without going flat.
- The contoured design keeps your legs, hip, and spine in perfect alignment.
- A breathable and cooling cotton cover that is easily machine washable.
From DMI, we have the back wedge pillow that helps to improve circulation and prevents acid reflux.
- An Upper body position pillow for head and back support.
- Prevent acid reflux and improves circulation.
- Firm support and positioning.
- High quality materails.
A comfortable Memory foam Cervical pillow that positions your neck and back ideally for better spinal alignment.
- Recommended by Chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons.
- Premium quality hypoallergenic cover and memory foam fill.
- Firm support.
- Positions the neck and shoulders for optimal spinal alignment.
The Luna is a knee pillow from premium memory foam that helps to prevent leg, hip, and back pain in side sleepers.
- It offers excellent Sciatica, back, knee, and hip pain relief.
- It is made from Centi-PUR premium natural memory foam.
- Ergonomic and innovative design with soft support.
- A breathable and machine washable cover.
- This is a full set body support system for senior persons.
- Consists of a Curved Back Wedge, and leg Wedge Pillows to support the back, legs and hips fully.
- Filled with 4LB of Viscose Memory Foam and jas a soft and breathable Microvelevet cover.
- Ideal for all sleeping and seated positions.
- Positioning Pillow set for multifunctional support and comfort for seniors.
- Three are three separate foam wedge pillows for full-body support and comfort,
- The foam wedges can be used in many ways for customizable support.
- It is filled with premium memory foam with an ergonomic and weightless pressure relief design.
- A non-skid bottom that stays in place.
- A deluxe Foam bed Wedge design for positioning a senior person in a comfortable sleeping or seated position.
- It is made with durable and breathable medical grade premium foam.
- Adjustable design for your back, legs, and knees.
- You can use each wedge separately or sip them together.
There are many different types of positioning pillow available, each with a unique purpose and design. I have tried to pick a few that are more versatile and ideal for common issues faced by our seniors today, such as back and hip pain, arthritis, and circulatory issues.
Index Table: Top-Rated Positioning Pillows for Elderly
Table of Contents
- The Function of a Positioning Pillow
- Benefits of a Positioning Pillow for the Elderly
- Positioning Pillow Types for the Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Elderly Positioning Pillows
- Cushy Form® Wedge Positioning Pillow for The Elderly
- Queen Rose® Pregnancy Pillow Full Body Pillow for the Elderly
- InteVision® Ortho Bed Wedge Pillow for the Elderly
- Sunnors® Lumbar Support Positioning Back Pillow for the Elderly
- ComfiLife® Orthopedic Knee Positioning Pillow for Seniors
- DMI® Wedge Positioning Wedge Pillow for Seniors
- The Right Angle® Adjustable Neck and Back Positioning Pillow for Seniors
- Luna® Orthopedic Positioning Knee Pillow for Seniors
- Avana® Kind Bed Positioning Pillow Set for Seniors
- Contour Products® BackMax Positioning Back Pillow for Seniors
- Alex Orthopedic® Deluxe Positioning Pillow for Seniors
- Index Table: Top-Rated Positioning Pillows for Elderly