Need a hypoallergenic pillow for yourself or a family member? Read further for more information on what causes allergies, what the best hypoallergenic materials are for pillows as well as a brief look into some of the best features of hypoallergenic pillows.
What Causes Allergies?
When somebody is allergic to something, their body is reacting to an allergen. An allergen is any particle you come into contact with that causes an allergic reaction, such as pollen. When in contact with an allergen, the body creates antibodies in reaction to it.
These antibodies will then deliver a signal to cells to try to halt the progression of the allergen. The cells react in specific ways to this, such as dilation of blood vessels or the release of other inflammatory compounds. These reactions, in turn, lead to common allergic reactions.
The most common allergens are:
- Cleaning Agents
- Heavy Metals
Regarding pillows, common allergens are often ingredients used in the manufacturing process which have been instilled into the pillows. Pillows which have been stuffed with down feathers are also common allergens. The most hypoallergenic pillows tend to be either organic or made using non-allergenic alternatives.
Best Hypoallergenic Pillow Materials
The below materials are the best for hypoallergenic pillows.
- Organic Cotton – Organic cotton is the best for those who are highly sensitive to chemicals. Pillows with organic cotton covers are readily sold and can improve the quality of the air that you breathe.
- Silk – Silk is a very soft natural material that will allow your skin and hair to feel pampered in the mornings. This beautiful material has antimicrobial properties and lasts an incredibly long time.
- Bamboo – Bamboo is a more eco-friendly material, usually manufactured in safer ways and using fewer resources to make than other fibers. Bamboo is soft and breathable.
- Polyester – Polyester filling is a great alternative for those who are allergic to duck down feather inners for their sleeping pillows.
Best Hypoallergenic Pillow Features
The below features are amongst the best for hypoallergenic pillows, aiding to extend their lifespan as well as improve comfort.
- Dust Mite Resistance – Dust mites can crawl into your pillow via the tiniest holes, including zipper teeth. A truly hypoallergenic pillow will have some form of dust mite resistance to prevent allergic reactions from bites and more.
- Machine Washable – A machine washable pillows makes for easy laundering as well as a pillow that lasts a long time. Less hassle to keep the bedroom clean.
- Water Resistance – Some hypoallergenic pillows comes with water resistance, making them less susceptible to fluids split on them.
- Memory Foam – Memory foam is one of the best pillows in terms of adaptability. When you rest your head on memory foam, it makes an exact contour of your shape, giving your head and neck the perfect support.
- High Thread Count – A high thread count usually indicates quality. Thread count is the number of fibers used per square inch. The more threads, the better, unless the threads are too short and of poor quality. The best thread count range to opt for is somewhere between 300 and 600.
Reviews: Top Hypoallergenic Pillows
Have a look at some of the best hypoallergenic pillows available and compare your favorites!
- This hypoallergenic pillow is filled with a clean polyester down-alternative fill, which is designed to help those who are allergic.
- Available in two densities – choose between medium and firm densities to get your best night of rest.
- The cover is made of 100% pure cotton and is removable for easy laundering.
- This pillow is machine washable, making it convenient to keep clean.
- The inside of the pillow is water repellant, meaning that it allows more water to run off of it before absorbing water.
- This pillow is made from a bamboo cover that houses a shredded memory foam for one of the best night’s sleep of your life!
- The thickness of the pillow is entirely adjustable – merely take the stuffing out or put it back in to perfect your height.
- The bamboo cover is zippered and machine washable, as well as being dust mite resistant.
- Sleep like a dream on this memory foam pillow which is body adaptive as well as great for your posture.
- Free from many chemicals that sensitive individuals would be allergic to.
- If you are only interested in getting a pillow cover and not an entire hypoallergenic pillow, this organic cotton pillow cover will save you a lot of trouble.
- Zippered for your convenience, you can quickly remove this pillow cover and protect your pillows from any staining or mess.
- This hypoallergenic pillow cover feels as soft as it looks, offering a high thread count at a low price.
- The fabric used to make this organic cotton cover are hypoallergenic, and the cover is also free of dyes, bleach or finishing chemicals.
- Feel the difference with organic cotton and breathe easier when you sleep at night!
- This pillow is hypoallergenic inside and out, containing shredded memory foam as well as a blend of polyester and bamboo fibers.
- Highly durable, the memory foam in this pillow will likely last you up to 10 years if you look after it well.
- The filling is adjustable, allowing you to put more foam in or take out as you desire.
- The pillow is certified to be free of chemicals, flame retardants, and other known toxic allergens.
- The cover is made of polyester and bamboo which is breathable and can be washed in the washing machine.
- Comes inclusive with a long-term 5-year warranty for extra security.
- Rest easy on this hypoallergenic waterbase pillow for the best night’s sleep, which has been clinically proven to improve sleep in four ways.
- Reduces neck pain and upper back pain, allowing you to wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- On the inside of the pillow is a hypoallergenic gel fill that responds to your every movement to give you tailored support.
- The pillow is adjustable to any firmness you require.
- Mediflow is offering a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not feel satisfied with the pillows high quality.
Comparison Table: Best Hypoallergenic Pillows
|1||Pinzon Down Alternative Pillow - Hypoallergenic Down-Free Alternative Bed Pillow||Pinzon||95|
|2||Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Pillow - Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow||Xtreme Comforts||97|
|3||Aller-Ease Hypoallergenic Pillow Cover - 100% Organic Cotton Pillow Cover||Aller-Ease||96|
|4||Coop Home Goods Shredded Foam Pillow - Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow||Coop Home Goods||97|
|5||Mediflow Waterbase Pillow - Hypoallergenic Water Based Pillow||Mediflow||96|
Table of Contents
- What Causes Allergies?
- Best Hypoallergenic Pillow Materials
- Best Hypoallergenic Pillow Features
- Reviews: Top Hypoallergenic Pillows
- Pinzon® Down Alternative Pillow Hypoallergenic Down-Free Alternative Bed Pillow
- Xtreme Comforts® Memory Foam Pillow Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Aller-Ease® Hypoallergenic Pillow Cover 100% Organic Cotton Pillow Cover
- Coop Home Goods® Shredded Foam Pillow Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Mediflow® Waterbase Pillow Hypoallergenic Water Based Pillow
- Comparison Table: Best Hypoallergenic Pillows