If you are looking for a hypoallergenic pillow that will last you decades, you should opt for a buckwheat pillow! Find out more below on the benefits of using a buckwheat pillow, their best features as well as tips for how to care for them.
Comparison Table for Best Buckwheat Pillows
|1||Infinite Nature Organic Buckwheat Pillow - Zippered Organic Buckwheat Hull Pillow||Infinite Nature||98|
|2||ComfyComfy Buckwheat Pillow - Chemical-Free Zippered Buckwheat Pillow||ComfyComfy||97|
|3||Hullo Buckwheat Hull Pillow - Organic Cotton Buckwheat Hull Pillow||Hullo||97|
|4||Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow - Unbleached Organic Buckwheat Hull Pillow||Beans72||92|
|5||Nature's Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow - Traditional Japanese Style Buckwheat Pillow||Nature's Pillows||89|
5 Good Reasons To Use A Buckwheat Pillow
Buckwheat is a plant that produces little seeds which are known as buckwheat hulls or groats. A buckwheat pillow is stuffed with these little triangular hulls and has been used in high-end pillows for hundreds of years.
Aside from being one of the most natural pillow options available, here are five great reasons why everyone should buy one!
- Durability – Buckwheat pillows will last you a minimum of 10 years, which is a very different experience to the majority of pillows available for sale. If you look after your buckwheat pillow, it can last for a few generations. Even if you fail to look after the pillow, simply replacing the buckwheat groats can keep the pillow in prime condition, making it the last pillow you will ever need to buy.
- Perfect Support – Buckwheat hulls are firm and small, making them ideal to use for head, neck and spine support. When you place your head on the pillow, the groats compress, keeping your head up while forming a comfortable contour around it. This results in perfect support as well as back pain relief.
- Great Airflow – Buckwheat hulls repel the heat. Over and above that, they allow for air to flow through them, keeping you cool all night long.
- Hypoallergenic – Buckwheat is not known to be an allergen, making it suitable for those who are looking for a hypoallergenic pillow. In fact, other hypoallergenic materials like cotton or foam are more likely to trigger an allergic reaction in highly sensitive people than buckwheat is.
- Low Maintenance – Buckwheat groats don’t become smelly, never sag and do not need much maintenance. If you accidentally crush the hulls (which is difficult to do), then you can simply replace them with more.
Tips For How To Take Care Of A Buckwheat Pillow
Even though a buckwheat pillow is a low maintenance, there still may be times one wants to clean the pillow. Here are a few things you will need to know first to do so:
- Buckwheat is not machine washable. Soaking buckwheat groats in water will cause them to expand and possibly even sprout. So what do you do when you want to wash your pillow? Get a separate cover and wash the cover.
- Dry groats out in the sun if they get wet. If you spilled on your pillow and wet the groats, simply leave them in the sun. Do not leave them to dry out for too long, however, because then they will become brittle. This is not particularly a problem; it just makes them easier to crush which will make them less effective at supporting you.
- Never heat your buckwheat pillow in the dryer. Many people like to have a warm toasty pillow during winter and buy special pillows that can be heated in the dryer or by other means. If you heat the hulls, it will dry them out too much, such as overexposing them to the sun (read the point above).
Best Buckwheat Pillow Features
Buckwheat pillows are simple, yet highly sophisticated in their own right. While very little can be done to make a buckwheat pillow even better than it already is, the best features below help to make them better than average.
- Certified Organic – Not all buckwheat is guaranteed to be grown organically. Look out for organic certification to save yourself the trouble of dealing with harmful chemicals.
- Cotton Pillow Case – An additional cotton pillowcase makes the buckwheat pillow more functional and soft to the touch. Cotton, bamboo or silk are great options.
- Zippered – Make sure the buckwheat pillow has a zip which allows you to access the buckwheat hulls on the inside. This not only allows you to replace hulls, but it also gives you the option to adjust the loft of the pillow. Choose between firm, medium or soft support by using a zippered buckwheat pillow!
- Carry Bag – If you like to travel a lot and tend not to sleep at home often, then a travel bag for your preferred buckwheat pillow will come in very handy.
- Replacement Hulls – Some pillows come with a bag of replacement hulls, making it easy to adjust the height or replace the hulls as needed.
Best Buckwheat Pillow Reviews
Below are some reviews of our favorite buckwheat hull pillows, all of which are just a click away from landing in your shopping cart.
- This organic buckwheat pillow uses a combination of the finest organic cotton and organic buckwheat groats to give you a sleeping experience you will never want to be without!
- The pillow comes included with a free organic cotton pillowcase to cover the inner organic cotton covering.
- Say goodbye to conventional materials and hello to the healthiest organic option available on the market to date.
- Adjust the height of the pillow by using the zipper on the inner covering, making it easy to replace or remove buckwheat hulls as desired.
- This pillow also comes with an organic cotton travel bag for easy storage and mobility.
- Get yourself a comfortable sleep with a ComfyComfy buckwheat pillow, grown and handmade in the USA.
- While the buckwheat used in the pillows are not certified organic, they were not treated in any way with chemicals or fumigants.
- Covered in an organic USA cotton case that has a zipper for easy access to the hulls inside.
- Adjust the loft height of your pillow and reap the maximum benefits from using all natural bedding.
- Keep your head in proper alignment as well as cool all night in long-lasting comfort with one or more of these!
- Here is a superb choice for a buckwheat pillow, made by a company that specializes only in buckwheat pillows.
- The cover allows you to adjust the pillow, containing a hidden zipper for easy access and care.
- Free from chemicals, foam, and feathers, this pillow is 100% hypoallergenic and entirely natural.
- Organic cotton twill was grown and woven in the US, lending the pillow a breathable cover that is smooth to the touch.
- The pillow creates a perfect contour around your head and neck, alleviating pain and pressure from the spine and encouraging deep sleep.
- Beans72 is a popular buckwheat pillow brand based in the US that selects only the best organic materials to craft their pillows.
- The cover is made from 100% organic cotton which has not been bleached or treated in any way.
- Unlike other buckwheat pillows, these pillows are stuffed to perfection, giving maximum loft and support.
- Comes included with a handy travel bag that has a handle and allows you never again to compromise the quality of your sleep.
- Lasts for more than 10 years if looked after with proper care.
- Indulge yourself with a traditional Japanese Sobakawa-style buckwheat pillow, crafted to hold your head in place and improve comfort while resting.
- The natural buckwheat groats are covered with a zippered covering, making the pillow fully adjustable.
- This is the perfect pillow for those who suffer from back or neck pain as it offers medium-firm support.
- The breathable cover combined with the buckwheat inside ensures that you never overheat during the night.
- Included with your purchase is a LIFETIME guarantee, making sure that this pillow will be the last pillow you ever buy!
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for Best Buckwheat Pillows
- 5 Good Reasons To Use A Buckwheat Pillow
- Tips For How To Take Care Of A Buckwheat Pillow
- Best Buckwheat Pillow Features
- Best Buckwheat Pillow Reviews
- Infinite Nature Organic Buckwheat Pillow Zippered Organic Buckwheat Hull Pillow
- ComfyComfy Buckwheat Pillow Chemical-Free Zippered Buckwheat Pillow
- Hullo Buckwheat Hull Pillow Organic Cotton Buckwheat Hull Pillow
- Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow Unbleached Organic Buckwheat Hull Pillow
- Nature's Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow Traditional Japanese Style Buckwheat Pillow