Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you suffer from back pain, you know that any little thing can set it off. Sitting in an uncomfortable position for too long, bending the wrong way, and even lifting something heavy can cause immediate discomfort. One activity that is often overlooked as a potential pain trigger is reading.
Whether you are curled up on the couch with a good book or hunched over your work documents at home or the office, sitting in an awkward position for an extended period can take its toll on your back. But there is a relief! If you use reading pillows while reading, it can help to ease the tension in your back and reduce the pain.
With the right book-reading pillow for bed, you can relax your back and read comfortably for extended periods with little or no back pain. Here, we have the best picks for you. Check them out!
Table of Contents
- Consequences of Reading a Book in Bad Postures
- Benefits of Reading Pillows
- Characteristics of a Good Reading Pillow
- How We Test and Score Reading Pillows for Bed
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Reading Pillow for Bed
- Reviews: The Best Reading Pillows for Bed
- Avana® Kind Complete Comfort Reading Pillows System
- Linenspa® Shredded Foam TV and Reading Pillow for Bed
- BedLounge® Back Wedge Back Support Reading Pillow
- Hog Wild® Peeramid Bookrest Pillow for Reading
- PWWDADA® Foam Filled Reading Pillow With Velour Cover
- Milliard® Memory Foam Reading and Gaming Pillow
- Nestl Bedding® Memory Foam Reading Pillow For Kids
- Vekkia® Premium Pillow for Reading and Gaming
- Peachwell® Triangular Large Bolster Support Wedge Pillow
- ZZYK® Large Bolster Triangular Headboard Reading Pillow
- Greendale® Home Fashions Back Support Pillow for Bed
- Zoemo® Bed Rest Reading Pillow With Arm Rest
- Index Table: Top Rated Reading Pillow for Bed
Consequences of Reading a Book in Bad Postures
Studies have shown that reading a book can exert strain on our neck and back muscles and affect our posture.
- Strain exert can result in upper or lower back damage if one is not careful.
- Strain is due to sitting or lying in the same position for many hours with a good book.
- Often we hold our shoulders tense while we sit at odd angles for our bodies, causing our spines to go out of natural alignment.
- Reading can also strain your neck muscles aside from the worst possible outcomes of chronic back conditions, such as scoliosis or multiple sclerosis.
- If one is careless, the results can lead to a slipped or herniated disc in the spinal column, especially in elderly community members.
- In all the above examples of back damage caused by reading, the books mentioned were hard copies.
- E-books are a newer type of book and fast outgrowing paper books. They also, however, add a whole new dimension of back damage when overlooked.
- E-books are not suitable for your eyes, and no matter how we think about it, sitting at an electronic device is devastating on the spine without the right support.
- So in all of these cases, a decent reading pillow for bed can help reduce the above impact of reading books.
Benefits of Reading Pillows
There are many benefits of using a reading pillow and some of the major ones are –
- Makes you feel relaxed – One of the most important benefits of using a reading pillow is that it makes you feel relaxed while reading. This is because it helps maintain the correct posture, which reduces stress on your neck and shoulders.
- Maintains the correct posture – As mentioned earlier, using a reading pillow helps maintain the correct posture while reading. This is very beneficial for your spine as well.
- Prevents eye fatigue – Another great benefit of using a reading pillow is that it prevents eye fatigue. This is because when you are not maintaining the correct posture, your eyes tend to tire out quickly. Using a reading pillow, you can keep them wide open and focused for longer periods.
- Allows you to read in bed – If you like to read in bed, then a reading pillow is a must-have for you. It allows you to keep your head and neck comfortable while reading. It can benefit many people who have trouble sleeping due to stiffness in the neck. If you want a stylish one, the cloud-shaped pillow is ideal.
- Prevents back pain – Using a reading pillow can also help in preventing back pain. This is because when you are not maintaining the correct posture while reading, your back starts to hurt. Using a reading pillow can help avoid this problem and read stress-free.
- Say bye to neck pain – Neck pain is a pervasive problem among readers. This is because most people start reading books in different and weird positions, putting pressure on the neck bone. As a result, pain starts in the neck. By using a reading pillow, you can avoid this problem and read in a comfortable position.
Characteristics of a Good Reading Pillow
- Accommodation – The best reading pillows must be able to accommodate your weight, size, back, and neck without any signs of pain or strain on your back.
- Back Support – They should allow you to recline back into the most comfortable position for you and still provide you with sufficient spine support that you do not damage your back.
- Orthopedic – Like all orthopedic pillows, reading pillows have similar materials.
- Materials – You can get them made from foam, foam shreds, memory foam, polyester, feathers, and more. Experts recommend getting a pillow made from foam, especially memory foam, as it holds your natural shape and is renowned for optimal back and neck support.
- Arm Support – Depending on your reading habits, the best reading pillow for you might include arms for your arms to rest on or not.
- Neck Support – All reading pillows should be able to support your neck and back together, but most importantly, your neck. This pillow will protect your neck when you incline it at an angle to read.
How We Test and Score Reading Pillows for Bed
These reviews are based on intense research, analysis, and feedback from our experts and real users from different digital platforms.
We spent 37 hours trying, testing, and scoring these Reading Pillows for Bed for different key parameters and then shortlisted the best products in the market, saving you time and effort.
We used the following parameters for our tests and analysis.
- Maintain Posture – We researched how useful the pillows are in reducing pain and maintaining posture while seated.
- Filling – We checked if the pillow’s filling was supportive enough and did not cause any discomfort.
- Relaxation – We researched how well the pillows provide extra support to keep the back and neck aligned, so the user will feel even better and more relaxed.
- Portability – We checked how easy and portable to carry the pillows.
- Price – We checked the pillow’s affordability having good quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Reading Pillow for Bed
- What is a reading pillow for?
Reading pillows are designed to assist you when you are seated in bed for extended periods of time. They are made of materials like foam to help with spinal alignment while also ensuring that there are no pressure points.
- Can I sleep on my side with a wedge pillow?
The wedge can be positioned horizontally on the mattress for both side and back sleepers to give a slight slope that lifts the upper body while remaining comfortable for the rest of the body.
- Are reading cushions worth it?
Reading pillows can help keep your back and neck aligned by providing extra support. This makes it much easier to maintain excellent posture while relaxing. Reading pillows can also help people who are recovering with back, neck, or shoulder pain.
- How do you use a reading wedge?
Place the wide end of a wedge cushion flat on the mattress if you prefer reading or journaling in bed. The flat side should be placed against a wall or a headboard. You can recline in an upright position with the cushion in this position without placing strain on your neck or upper back.
Reviews: The Best Reading Pillows for Bed
Here are some of the most comfortable bed-reading pillows you should consider;
We hope you love the reading pillows for bed we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This pillow makes a great reading pillow, ideal for relaxing in bed or watching TV.
- Ergonomically support all shapes. The pillow has a headrest and a slightly lower back and lumbar support curve.
- The Avana Support Pillow includes a knee rest and an extra “back scoop” to upright the entire pillow.
- It is made from polyester covers and memory foam for maximum reading comfort.
- The covers are machine washable and take a few minutes to dry.
- Available in brown, black, and beige – select the color you prepare and make your reading a pleasurable and comfortable feeling.
- Versatile Usage.
- Made In USA.
- Variety of Colors Available.
- Only One Size Available.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- Provides you with back and neck support while reading, working, or watching TV.
- It is filled with shredded foam to facilitate a comfortable experience and recline.
- This reading pillow has back and neck pain relief, perfect for patients with back or neck injuries.
- It has a carry handle on top to make it portable – read in any spot you like without receiving back pain.
- This reading pillow comes with reclining arms on either side, giving you more choices for what position you can comfortably assume.
- The pillow cover is made from luxurious velour, which will last a long time.
- Provide Natural Alignment.
- Prevents back pain.
- Suitable For All Body Types.
- Only Two Colors Available.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- Invented by Dr. Robert Swezey M.D., this pillow will provide the ultimate back pain relief to any reader or TV watcher.
- This pillow will also provide shoulder support and comes with arms on either side so you can rest while holding up your book or recline with optimal comfort.
- More durable than most reading pillows, this one comes with a skeletal structure to hold the person up, providing the maximum back support possible!
- A comfortable neck pillow on top aids neck pain and allows you to relax while reclining.
- It comes in a vast array of beautiful colors to choose from.
- Great Quality.
- Maintains The Correct Posture.
- Arm and Neck Support.
- Variety of Colors Available.
- Only Two Sizes Available.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- A very innovative reading cushion that can double as a book holder, providing you with maximum comfort.
- Also suitable for holding up tablets and ebook reading devices.
- Recline and rest your neck while lying down, reading your favorite storybook.
- Alleviates arm, neck, and back pain associated with holding a book for too long.
- Compact design allows the pyramid pillow to be transported with you wherever you go.
- This pillow can be maintained with a damp cloth and comes in many vibrant colors that you can choose.
- A soft velour cover will allow your skin to breathe, preventing spontaneous sweating.
- The cover is made from bamboo fibers and supports sustainable design practices.
- An ideal pillow for sitting in bed with a good book or watching TV, the Z-Foam Reading Pillow will support your neck and back while doing so.
- The product is highly durable with a 3-year warranty.
- The foam filling is shredded, which allows for optimal support that is not compromised in comfort. Read your book at your leisure without worrying about any pain or ailments.
- The neutral dark gray color can match most decor.
The Milliard Reading Pillow is an excellent backrest for reading and even gaming or watching television.
- Filled with plush and supportive memory foam.
- A Velour outer cover with a zipper that is easily machine washable.
- CertiPUR certified and available in different size options.
- Highly resilient and durable.
From Brentwood Originals, we have a colorful range of reading and gaming pillows explicitly designed for children.
- It offers superb support for young necks and backs and cushioned comfort.
- Available in many fun and bright colors with a fuzzy plush cover that is easy to spot and clean.
- Portable and ideal for young children and teenagers.
Enjoy extra comfort and support with this memory foam reading, pregnancy, and gaming pillow.
- It is ideal for reading and gaming and especially perfect for pregnant women.
- It comes with a soft velvet cover that can be removed and washed.
- The Pillow is also available in a few more color options.
- It is durable and fully supports your back and neck in a seated position.
- Made in the USA, the fabric of this pillow features a fine blend of Linen and Cotton.
- You may count this as the best pillow for reading in bed, as it provides back & neck support for maximum comfort.
- Comes in various sizes and is easy to wash.
- It can also be used as a headboard.
- A large back support cushion for reading or sitting and watching Television.
- It comes with a soft velvet cover available in a few color selections.
- Available in different bed size options to choose from.
- Soft and comfortable and also ideal to use as a headboard pillow.
- Supportive back and neck reading pillows are available in many color selections.
- Sidearms rest and supportive hugging back design.
- It comes with a 100% washable and removable cotton cover.
- Plush fills are made from fabric that is manufactured from recycled plastic.
- A supportive pillow for your back and neck, with a detachable neck roll.
- It is filled with high-quality hypoallergenic shredded foam for softness and comfort.
- A zippered washable cover that is comfortable and durable.
- Versatile with Shredded memory foam for sleeping and seated comfort.