Bird feathers have an age-old history of being used for stuffing inside our sleeping pillows.
Just as birds use their feathers to cushion their young inside their nests, the comfort of most feathered pillows is unmatched.
After finding out more about feathered pillows, indulge yourself with the most comfortable sleeping experience ever!
Brief History of Feathered Pillows
Using feathers inside pillows for stuffing has been a practice that goes back thousands of years.
The Ancient Greeks would prop their feet up to elevate their knees and ankles on duck-down feather pillows.
The ancient Egyptians also used feathers, crafting the most elaborate neck pillows for their dead as a sign of eternal respect. In their eyes, the head was viewed as “the seat of life” and deserving of the most comfortable feathered pillows.
Believe it or not, feathered pillows also played a role in influencing all sleeping positions we sleep in today.
It was thought throughout the dark ages that sleeping while propped at a near-vertical angle was beneficial for you!
Massive feathered pillows would be stacked to achieve the desired effect, supporting the entire back for good sleep. However, this myth got busted in the mid-1800s as physicians started to learn more about the best support for the spine and cervix.
Types of Feather Pillows – Down Feathers Vs. Normal Feathers
Feather pillows differ regarding the type of feather used, the bird species that the feathers came from, and the stuffing used inside the Pillow. Birds have two main kinds of feathers, down feathers and the ordinary feathers that make up the outward appearance of a bird’s plumage.
Down feathers are more expensive than typical feathers, with superior qualities and a different structure to the other kind. They are found beneath the regular feathers and keep the bird well-insulated. Regular feathers have a long “quill shaft,” while down feathers have next to none and resemble fluffy balls of lint. For firm back support, a feathered pillow with a mix of both feathers is desirable.
Goose down feather pillow is regarded as the most luxuriously soft Pillow for sleeping because the down feather clusters on the bird are bigger, and the bird requires more upkeep. Commonly, duck-down feathers are used as an alternative stuffing, providing just as much comfort.
Benefits of Feather Pillows
The main reason people love feathered pillows, down feather pillows, in particular, is for comfort during a good night’s sleep. The shape of feathered pillows is malleable, meaning that they can take on your shape or contour when you rest your head upon it. This offers excellent support to your back and neck and can help you maintain a proper posture while in bed.
Feathered pillows are also incredibly lightweight. It makes sense when you consider that birds can’t have heavy feathers if they want to fly! In colder parts of the world, down feathers come in handy to trap heat and insulate the sleeper. Many people also prefer feathered pillows because they are more natural and often softer than polyester or other microfibers used in sleeping pillows.
Reviews: Top Rated Feather Pillows
For luxuriously soft comfort, try one of these exceptional choices of feather pillows; you will most definitely not be disappointed.
We have researched and reviewed some of the most popular and best available feather pillows;
The Puredown White Goose Down Feather Bed Pillow is made with a blend of 10% white goose down, and the rest are plain white goose feathers for affordable luxury and comfort.
- This material is durable, with expert seams along the edges.
- Machine washable and super easy to keep clean!
- The product comes in standard, queen, or king-size and is plush enough for any size or person.
- These feather pillows are sold in packs of two, making it easy to buy for yourself and your spouse at the same time and fill the double bed.
- Get the sleep you deserve at the comfort level that feels the best to you.
The Quilted White Goose Feather Bed Pillow is a good pillow choice for back and side sleepers, with the goose feathers being firm enough for mild back support.
- Stuffed with 95% goose feathers and 5% goose down feathers, this Pillow will offer you a magnificent night’s sleep of optimal comfort.
- The cover is removable and made of 100% machine washable cotton.
- Comes readily available in a set of two pillows.
- Sleep comfortably while the Pillow hugs your head, molding to your shape a little and lets you rest deeply.
The Pacific Coast Best Resilia Feather Pillow is ideal for neck pain and side sleepers; this Pillow will remedy neck pain and accommodates the change in sleeping positions
- Resilia feather filling is conducive to allowing you to fall into a deep regenerative sleep.
- Comes in standard and king sizes.
- The cover is pure cotton and made in the USA along with the sleeping Pillow itself.
- Resilia feather filling is cleaner than most feather pillows.
If you’re a stomach or side sleeper, then the Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow For Stomach Sleepers is the feather pillow for you.
- Made from incredibly soft down feathers, making up 80% of the Pillow, only 20% is made with ordinary feathers.
- Cotton cover can be washed in the washing machine and dried in the tumble drier.
- This Pillow is hypoallergenic until you have a direct allergy to bird feathers. Suitable for sensitive individuals.
- Rest relaxed and reassured on this soft Pillow to help you get rid of neck, back, and shoulder pains.
The Snoozer Dream Weaver Full Body Pillow with Goose Down is literally a full body pillow, holding your entire body and curving around under your neck.
- Ideal for pregnant mothers who need a very comfortable solution to sleep on their sides with back and neck support.
- Supports your back, so that neck, back, and shoulder strains and pains are diminished drastically.
- It helps you to breathe more easily and improves blood circulation, promoting a good night’s rest and a new you in the morning!
- Made from 100% pure goose down feathers for assured comfort and quality.
From JA Comforts, we have the Duck Down and Feather pillow with is a perfect combination for comfort and plush luxury.
- It comes with a 100% cotton cover with double line technology to keep all the feathers in.
- Filled with fine quality Duck down and Feathers.
- Easily washable and quick-drying design.
- Relatively hypoallergenic if you are not allergic to feathers.
This Pillow gives you the best of both worlds with a unique blend of soft and bouncy Goose down as well as durable and firmer feathers for the perfect loft.
- A comfortable and highly adjustable contoured pillow.
- Filled with premium Goose Down and Feathers.
- It is covered in a breathable and soft cotton cover that is reinforced with two layers for protection.
- This Pillow is treated for allergens, dust mites, and other particles to enhance the quality of your rest.
The Sweet Home Collection Goose down and Feather Blended Pillow is ideal for comfort and support for any sleeping position.
- It is filled with 95% white goose feathers and 5 % white goose down.
- Aids in preventing neck pain and tension.
- It helps to keep your head perfectly positioned and comfortable.
- Easily machine washable and quick drying.
- Comes with a natural cotton cover.
- The Globon pillows come enclosed in a 100% Cotton Sateen cover with a 460 thread count, making it breathable and luxuriously soft to the touch.
- The filling comprises carefully selected 2-4cm White Goose feathers to provide softness and firmness at the same time.
- It is made using the three chambers construction design to ensure the filling stays in place, and you get maximum support.
- The inner contains a breathable and down-proof lining to avoid the pricks of feathers.
- This package contains 2 King size pillows designed especially for five-star hotels.
- It is OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 Certified and guaranteed to be non-living-plucking, non-cage-rearing, and force-feeding.
- This Dreamhood pillow comes with a 90% White Goose Feather and 10% White Goose Down stuffing, making it extremely soft and firm at the same time.
- The cover is made entirely with Cotton and is soft and smooth to the touch.
- It is breathable, skin-friendly as well as machine washable.
- This package contains a pair of Queen size pillows.
Comparison Table: Best Feather Pillows
|1||Puredown White Goose Down - Feather Bed Pillow||Puredown||99.1|
|2||Home elements Quilted - White Goose Feather Bed Pillow||Home elements||98.7|
|3||Pacific Coast Resilia Feather - Standard Pillow||Pacific Coast||98.3|
|4||eLuxury Supply Extra soft - Down Filled Pillow For Stomach Sleepers||eLuxury Supply||97.9|
|5||Snoozer Dream Weaver - Full Body Pillow with Goose Down||Snoozer||97.5|
|6||JA Comforts Duck Feather - Feather and Down Pillow||JA Comforts||97.2|
|7||WENERSI Goose Down Pillows - Feather Blend Pillows||WENERSI||96.8|
|8||Sweet Home Collection Soft - Goose Feather and Down Pillows||Sweet Home Collection||96.3|
|9||Globon Luxurious - Goose Feather and Down Pillows||Globon||95.9|
|10||Dreamhood Bedding - White Goose Feather Pillows||Dreamhood||95.5|
Table of Contents
- Brief History of Feathered Pillows
- Types of Feather Pillows – Down Feathers Vs. Normal Feathers
- Benefits of Feather Pillows
- Reviews: Top Rated Feather Pillows
- Puredown® White Goose Down Feather Bed Pillow
- Home elements® Quilted White Goose Feather Bed Pillow
- Pacific Coast® Resilia Feather Standard Pillow
- eLuxury Supply® Extra soft Down Filled Pillow For Stomach Sleepers
- Snoozer® Dream Weaver Full Body Pillow with Goose Down
- JA Comforts® Duck Feather Feather and Down Pillow
- WENERSI® Goose Down Pillows Feather Blend Pillows
- Sweet Home Collection® Soft Goose Feather and Down Pillows
- Globon® Luxurious Goose Feather and Down Pillows
- Dreamhood® Bedding White Goose Feather Pillows
- Comparison Table: Best Feather Pillows