Bird feathers have an age old history as being used for stuffing inside our sleeping pillows. Just as birds use their feathers to cushion their young inside their nests, the comfort of most feathered pillows is unmatched. After finding out more about feathered pillows, indulge yourself with the most comfortable sleeping experience ever!
Brief History of Feathered Pillows
Using feathers inside pillows for stuffing has been a practice that goes back thousands of years. The Ancient Greeks would prop their feet up to elevate their knees and ankles on duck down feather pillows. The ancient Egyptians also used feathers, crafting the most elaborate neck pillows for their dead as a sign of eternal respect. In their eyes, the head was viewed as “the seat of life” and deserving of the most comfortable feathered pillows.
Believe it or not, feathered pillows also had a role to play in influencing all sleeping positions we sleep in today. It was thought throughout the dark ages that sleeping while propped at a near vertical angle was beneficial for you! Massive feathered pillows would be stacked to achieve the desired effect, supporting the entire back for good sleep. However, this myth got busted in the mid-1800’s as physicians started to learn more about the best support for the spine and cervix.
Types of Feather Pillows – Down Feathers Vs. Normal Feathers
Feather pillows differ regarding the type of feather used, the bird species that the feathers came from and the amount of stuffing used inside the pillow. Birds have two main kinds of feathers, down feathers and the ordinary feathers that make up the outward appearance of a bird’s plumage.
Down feathers are more expensive to use than typical feathers, with superior qualities and a different structure to the other kind. They are found beneath the regular feathers and keep the bird well-insulated. Regular feathers have a long “quill shaft,” while down feathers have next to none and resemble fluffy balls of lint. For firm back support, a feathered pillow with a mix of both feathers is desirable.
Goose down feather pillow is regarded as the most luxuriously soft pillow for sleeping on because the down feather clusters on the bird are bigger and the bird requires more upkeep. Commonly, duck down feathers is used as an alternative stuffing, providing just as much comfort.
Benefits of Feather Pillows
The main reason people love feathered pillows, down feather pillows, in particular, is for comfort during a good night’s sleep. The shape of feathered pillows is malleable, meaning that it can take on your shape or contour when you rest your head upon it. This offers excellent support to your back and neck and can help you maintain a proper posture while in bed.
Feathered pillows are also incredibly light weight. It makes sense when you consider that birds can’t have heavy feathers if they want to fly! In colder parts of the world, down feathers come in handy to trap heat in and insulate the sleeper. Many people also prefer feathered pillows because they are more natural and often softer than polyester or other microfibers used in sleeping pillows.
Reviews: Top Rated Feather Pillows
For luxuriously soft comfort, try one of these exceptional choices of feather pillows, you will most definitely not be disappointed.
We have researched and reviewed some of the most popular and best available feather pillows;
The Puredown White Goose Down Feather Bed Pillow is made with a blend of 10% white goose down, and the rest are plain white goose feathers for affordable luxury and comfort.
- This material is durable, with expert seams along the edges.
- Machine washable and super easy to keep clean!
- The product comes in standard, queen or king size and is plush enough for any size or person.
- These feather pillows are sold in packs of two, making it easy to buy for yourself and your spouse at the same time and fill the double bed.
- Get the sleep you deserve at the comfort level that feels the best to you.
The Quilted White Goose Feather Bed Pillow is a good pillow choice for back and side sleepers, with the goose feathers being firm enough for mild back support.
- Stuffed with 95% goose feathers and 5% goose down feathers, this pillow will offer you a magnificent night sleep of optimal comfort.
- The cover is removable and made of 100% machine washable cotton.
- Comes readily available in a set of two pillows.
- Sleep comfortably while the pillow hugs your head, molding to your shape a little and lets you rest deeply.
The Pacific Coast Best Resilia Feather Pillow is ideal for neck pain and side sleepers, this pillow, will remedy neck pain and accommodates change in sleeping positions
- Resilia feather filling is conducive to allowing you to fall into a deep regenerative sleep.
- Comes in standard and king sizes.
- The cover is pure cotton and made in the USA along with the sleeping pillow itself.
- Resilia feather filling is cleaner than most feather pillows.
If you’re a stomach or side sleeper, then the Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow For Stomach Sleepers is the feather pillow for you.
- Made from incredibly soft down feathers, making up 80% of the pillow, only 20% is made with ordinary feathers.
- Cotton cover can be washed in the washing machine and dried in the tumble drier.
- This pillow is hypoallergenic until you have a direct allergy to bird feathers. Suitable for sensitive individuals.
- Rest relaxed and reassured on this soft pillow that will help you get rid of neck, back and shoulder pains.
The Snoozer Dream Weaver Full Body Pillow with Goose Down is literally a full body pillow, holding your entire body and curving round under your neck.
- Ideal for pregnant mothers who need a very comfortable solution to sleeping on their sides with back and neck support.
- Supports your back so that neck, back and shoulder strains, and pains are diminished drastically.
- Helps you to breathe more easily and improves blood circulation, promoting a good night’s rest and a new you in the morning!
- Made from 100% pure goose down feathers for assured comfort and quality.
Comparison Table: Best Feather Pillows
|1||Puredown White Goose Down - Feather Bed Pillow||Puredown||95|
|2||Home elements Quilted - White Goose Feather Bed Pillow||Home elements||95|
|3||Pacific Coast Resilia Feather - Standard Pillow||Pacific Coast||93|
|4||eLuxury Supply Extra soft - Down Filled Pillow For Stomach Sleepers||eLuxury Supply||96|
|5||Snoozer Dream Weaver - Full Body Pillow with Goose Down||Snoozer||95|
Table of Contents
- Brief History of Feathered Pillows
- Types of Feather Pillows – Down Feathers Vs. Normal Feathers
- Benefits of Feather Pillows
- Reviews: Top Rated Feather Pillows
- Puredown White Goose Down Feather Bed Pillow
- Home elements Quilted White Goose Feather Bed Pillow
- Pacific Coast Resilia Feather Standard Pillow
- Snoozer Dream Weaver Full Body Pillow with Goose Down
- Comparison Table: Best Feather Pillows