If you are tired of sleeping on synthetic pillows and are looking for a good, old-fashioned pillow that gives a high loft, then goose down pillows are the answer! Learn more about goose down pillows below, what you can expect when purchasing them and what their best features are.
Comparison Table for the Best Goose Down Pillows
|1||Royal Hotel Goose Down Pillow - 100% Luxury Goose Down Feather Pillow||Royal Hotel||98|
|2||Luxuredown Pure Goose Down Pillow - 100% Cotton Pure Goose Down Pillow||Luxuredown||97|
|3||WENERSI Goose Down Pillows - Goose Down Feather Blend Pillows||WENERSI||95|
|4||All About Down Goose Travel Pillow - Goose Down Feather Travel Pillow||All About Down||97|
|5||Downluxe Luxury Goose Down Pillows - Goose Down Egyptian Cotton Pillows||Downluxe||97|
What Is Fill Power and Thread Count?
The most important terms to understand before going to get yourself a great set of goose down pillows are fill-power and thread count.
Fill Power is the measurement of feather loft and refers to how much loft one once of the down feather stuffing will occupy. For example, every ounce of down feathers in a 500 fill power down pillow will have a loft of up to 500 cubic inches. The higher the fill power, the loftier the pillow. It is interesting to note that the more loft a down pillow has, the better it will be for trapping heat and insulating the pillow. Therefore, in a colder climate, one should opt for a very high fill power for the best results.
Thread Count is used to determine the number of threads used per square inch of fabric. This term is used to describe the cover of a goose down pillow and makes a big difference regarding softness and breathability. The ideal pillow cover should have as many long, stable threads as possible. If the thread count is over 600, there is a good chance that there are many short threads, which is just as undesirable as a low thread count (below 200).
Goose Down Feather Buying Precautions
Here are a few factors to consider before buying a goose down pillow:
- Feather Blends – Did you know that birds, including geese, have four different types of feathers and that not all of them are suitable for sleeping on? Down feathers are the best choice for pillow filling as they are the softest and are initially intended to keep the goose warm. They can be very expensive though, so in an attempt to make down pillows cost-effective, manufacturers often blend these with other feathers. If opting for a feather blend, always opt for contour feathers which are softer than the thick flight feathers on the bird’s wings.
- Dust Mites – Bird feathers have a tendency to attract dust mites! The feathers are usually washed and treated before being stuffed into a pillow, so that is not an immediate concern when looking at down pillows. The concern is more about the covering of the pillow itself so that you do not attract dust mites in years to come. If opting for a cheaper pillow that does not have a dust mite proof covering, rather just buy a dust mite proof pillowcase!
- Double Covering – All feathers have tips, as this is how they attached to the bird and therefore it is inevitable that the tips will stick out from time to time. To prevent the tips of feathers poking at you, it is recommended to get a double layered pillow.
Best Goose Down Pillow Features
The best goose down pillow features are as follows:
- Machine Washable – Some goose down pillows can be washed in a washing machine on a cold, gentle setting and even tumble dried on low. This is ideal for keeping your pillow in great condition.
- Vacuum Sealed – Vacuum sealed down pillows have a lesser chance of being contaminated with dust mites or pathogens, being more hypoallergenic in general.
- Piped Edges – The seams of the pillow cover are one of the weak points of a down pillow. Having piped edging will ensure that the tips of the features do not stick out or rip any of the seams.
- Cotton Cover – A cotton cover is a perfect compliment for your luxurious down pillow, being both highly breathable and soft. A cotton cover with a thread count between 300 and 400 is the best!
- 100% Down Feathers – Naturally, a down pillow that is made using 100% goose down with a high fill power (500 or more) is the best option.
Best Goose Down Pillow Reviews
Below is a wide selection of some of the best goose down pillows, reviewed for high quality and high fill power for all your needs.
- True to their name, Royal Hotel is proud to present these hotel quality 100% goose down pillows, designed to make sleep great again!
- Filled with a very high loftiness, these pillows sit at a fill power of 750, making them ideal for all sleeping positions.
- Keep yourself warm and cozy during Winter and cool in Summer thanks to the fantastic power of insulation that goose down feathers have.
- The edges of the pillow have been double sealed with a specialty piping seam, keeping the pillow together for longer.
- These pillows are not machine washable but may be dry cleaned for optimal results.
- Here is a medium-firm goose down pillow which has been designed specifically for back and side sleepers.
- The loft is also a medium thickness, bringing the fill power to 650 square inches for optimal comfort.
- Covered in a 100% cotton shell covering, the pillow will always remain utterly soft and insulated and promotes a good night’s rest.
- Made in the USA and constructed from only the best goose down feathers for maximum luxury!
- The edges have a double piped lining to ensure no feathers find their way out of the pillow during the night.
- If you are looking for soft and budget-friendly blend of goose down and contour feather pillows, then this is the best choice for you.
- Covered in pure cotton which has been reinforced with two layers, the pillows ensure that feathers never poke you while sleeping.
- Treated beforehand for allergens and dust mites, these pillows will enhance the quality of your sleep while still being chemical free!
- Vacuum sealed, the pillows are easy to continually keep fluffing up and retain great loft even with the feather blend.
- Sleep blissfully on while these pillows do not make any crunching noise as some other blended feather pillows do.
- If you like to travel a lot and can never get comfortable when you are, then this travel pillow is going to be a miracle solution!
- Loaded with the softest goose down feathers imaginable, this pillow has a fill power of 900, making it the softest pillow you’ll ever have used.
- The goose down feathers were sourced from humane sources with an ethical background, without harming any geese in the process.
- The manufacturers are happy to adjust the fill power and loft if you require it – just give them a call before placing your order.
- Enjoy traveling like never before with the luxury of a goose down pillow by your side.
- If you want goose down pillows but are worried about allergens, then this luxurious set of 2 pillows is just what you need!
- Covered in the purest and softest Egyptian cotton, these pillows are hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
- Vacuum sealed and compressed, these pillows are entirely fresh upon arrival at your doorstep.
- Improve the quality of your sleep with these pure goose down feather pillows, ideal for any sleeping position.
- The seams of the pillows in this set of 2 have been reinforced, making it impossible for feathers to pop out the sides.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Goose Down Pillows
- What Is Fill Power and Thread Count?
- Goose Down Feather Buying Precautions
- Best Goose Down Pillow Features
- Best Goose Down Pillow Reviews
- Royal Hotel Goose Down Pillow 100% Luxury Goose Down Feather Pillow
- Luxuredown Pure Goose Down Pillow 100% Cotton Pure Goose Down Pillow
- WENERSI Goose Down Pillows Goose Down Feather Blend Pillows
- All About Down Goose Travel Pillow Goose Down Feather Travel Pillow
- Downluxe Luxury Goose Down Pillows Goose Down Egyptian Cotton Pillows