Sleeping on your side or your back may affect how well you sleep and function.
Getting the right therapeutic pillow could help you sleep deeply and comfortably on your back or side without causing pain or back and neck problems.
Table of Contents
- Sleeping Posture Side and Back Sleepers
- Sleeping Pillow for Back and Side Sleepers
- Materials of a Good Pillows for Side and Back Sleepers
- Reviews: Best Back and Side Sleeping Pillows
- Utopia Bedding® Premium Quality Gusseted Pillow Set
- Leachco® Snoogle Total Body Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers
- Schmoozi® Pregnancy Pillow Back Support Pillow
- EnerPlex® Cervical Contour Side and Back Sleeping Bed Pillow
- Sleep Innovations® Contour Cooling Gel Back and Side Sleep Pillow
- Bekweim® Memory Foam Knee Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers
- Sleep Better® Iso-Cool Side and Back Sleeping Pillow
- Arc4Life® Traction Pillow Specially Shaped Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers
- Core Products® Tri-Core Orthopedic Side and Back Sleep Support Pillow
- Index Table: Top-Rated Side and Back Sleeping Pillows
Sleeping Posture Side and Back Sleepers
Whether you’re a side sleeper, back sleeper, or stomach sleeper, your sleeping position affects how you sleep, your posture, and the quality of your life.
Good posture while sleeping is a well-known remedy for many causes of back, neck, and hip pain.
Maintaining a good posture while sleeping will allow you to sleep the best at night and can enable you to wake up feeling like you are on top of your game!
Sleeping on your back is traditionally the best posture, while stomach sleepers stress the spinal column the most.
However, if you have a naturally bad posture during the day, you will need support for sleeping on your back so your spine can achieve the correct posture.
Sleeping on your side is the next best position, but it can cause neck and back pain if your pillow does not match your shoulder length.
Sleeping Pillow for Back and Side Sleepers
If you are a side or back sleeper with shoulder, neck, or back pain, the best pillow for you is one that can support your posture when in either sleeping position.
Having said this, a pillow that caves towards the middle of it to cradle your head is the best for sleeping on the back.
Sleeping on the side requires more leverage, usually taking into the shoulders and keeping the spine straight. Usually, you can find both of these qualities in the best pillows for side and back sleepers.
You need to ascertain if you want a more or less firm pillow, depending on how much support you need and if you have back ailments or pains.
Usually, keeping the spine straight with optimal support gets more comfortable after becoming used to sleeping with a good posture.
Also have a look at our list of best pillows for Fibromyalgia.
Materials of a Good Pillows for Side and Back Sleepers
The best pillows for all sleeping positions are usually made from cotton or bamboo fiber covers filled with water, gel, or plastic foam bases.
Shredded foam, feather fillings, and any combination of the latter materials will create more comfortable supportive orthopedic cushions.
People enjoy memory foam, the best side and back sleeping pillow, the most popular material. It’s a stiff foam that is heat reactive, and when you lay upon it, your body heat presses you further into it, which ensures your contour is kept all through the night and provides optimal natural support with a great degree of comfort.
Memory foam pillows are usually ergonomically designed with an inbuilt design that provides back and neck support. Selecting the right design will depend on whether you are a side or back sleeper and any ailments, injuries, or conditions along the spine affecting your posture.
Reviews: Best Back and Side Sleeping Pillows
For those who enjoy sleeping on their backs or sides, you may not be getting adequate support from your pillow, which can interrupt your sleeping needs.
Choosing a pillow that provides the best support for your sleeping style will improve your sleep patterns and alleviate and prevent pain and aches caused by your particular sleeping position best supports.
Here are some of the top choices in pillows if you sleep on your back or side;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This pair of White Gusset pillows are embellished with blue piping and double stitching for a stylish look and enhanced durability.
- It measures a standard Queen size of 18 x 26 inches.
- The filling is a medium-firm blend of high-quality, premium materials to allow you to sleep comfortably in any position, whether side or back.
- It is only suitable for dry-cleaning to allow the pillows to prolong life.
The Leachco Total Body Pillow is ideal for side sleepers with back problems or pregnant mothers needing back support for side sleeping.
- Innovatively designed to cradle your entire body shape and doubles as a knee pillow.
- It will support the stomachs of pregnant side sleepers and the neck of any side sleeper.
- Available in white, green, brown, or pink.
- It supports your hips, back, neck, and stomach and allows you to snuggle into a deep sleep.
- The cover is machine washable and hassle-free to maintain.
The Schmoozi Pregnancy Pillow specialized pregnancy pillow comes in a convenient travel bag and is transportable everywhere.
- The pillow’s design provides leg, hip, stomach, neck, and back support, ideal for maternity.
- The pillow forces you to stay asleep in one spot, which aids heartburn, acid reflux, and snoring.
- Ideal for side sleepers who suffer from lower back pain or knee pain.
- This full body full-body pillow gives a very comfortable sleeping experience with a 5-year warranty and is machine washable.
The EnerPlex Contour Pillow is manufactured from quality memory foam and is ergonomically designed to give your neck, back, hips, and spine the ultimate support during sleep.
- The channel in the middle of the pillow’s design will support the neck for back sleepers.
- The elevated “wings” on either side of this support gap will alleviate back and neck pain inside sleepers.
- Eco-friendly, the bamboo cover is removable and machine washable.
- This orthopedic pillow is hypoallergenic and guaranteed to be dust-mite-free.
- Made to fit many different body shapes and sizes and keep the spine straight in the most back and side sleepers.
The Sleep Innovations Contoured Pillow is a cervical pillow with gel-cooling technology and shape-contouring capabilities.
- This medically endorsed cervical pillow is comprised of 60% polyester.
- The heat you generate will be evenly dispersed and cooled slightly using cooling gel technology. So say goodbye to hot flashes during the night!
- It holds your shape wonderfully and keeps your spine straight.
- Ideal for back and side sleepers who suffer from neck or back pain.
- 100% hypoallergenic and phthalate-free. Also, it is dust mite resistant and very hygienic.
- Improves the quality of your sleep by allowing you to relax with optimal comfort.
The Bekweim Smart Knee is one of the best pillows for side sleepers who suffer from bad knee and leg circulation.
- The support is adjustable with interlocking pillows. Add or subtract to suit your needs!
- It helps alleviate pain in the knees, joint pain, hip pain, and back pain.
- By elevating your hips to the right angle with this orthopedic leg support pillow, you can maintain great posture throughout the night and wake up refreshed in the morning.
- Filled with Premium Cooling Memory Foam
The Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow is ideal for side and back sleepers with contouring and cooling memory foam.
- Features premium-grade supportive and comfortable memory foam.
- A cooling Iso-Memory Foam system with Gel.
- The cotton cover is breathable and removable for washing.
- Firm and high support for back and side sleeping.
The Arc4Life is a Traction pillow that is an excellent option providing you with ample support and comfort when sleeping on your side or back.
- Two sides with a traction V and full support for either back or side sleeping positions.
- Cradles your head and neck providing great neck and shoulder support.
- It helps to improve posture by keeping your spine well-aligned.
- Superior pain relief and better sleep patterns are guaranteed.
A supportive anatomically designed pillow from Core Products for side and back sleeping.
- Ensures the perfect posture and sleep position for side and back sleepers.
- Ideal for post-surgery recovery and neck support.
- A comfortable and supportive design offered orthopedic pain and tension relief.
- Covered in a smooth and breathable casing.