If you sleep on your side or your back, this may have an effect on how well you sleep and function. Getting the right kind of therapeutic pillow could help you to sleep deeply and comfortably on your back or your side without causing any pain or back and neck problems in the future.
How Different Sleeping Positions Have an Effect On You, Your Posture and Sleep
Whether you’re a side sleeper, back sleeper or stomach sleeper, your sleeping position has an effect on how you sleep, your posture and the quality of your life. Good posture while sleeping is a well-known remedy for many causes of back pain, neck pain and hip pain. Maintaining good posture while sleeping will allow you to sleep the best at night and can enable you to wake up feeling like you are on top of your game!
Sleeping on your back is traditionally the best sleeping posture to assume, while stomach sleepers put the most stress on the spinal column. However, if you have a natural bad posture during the day, you will need support for sleeping on your back so your spine can achieve the correct posture.
Sleeping on your side is the next best position to take, but can cause neck and back pain if your pillow does not match your shoulder length.
What Type of Sleeping Pillow Helps Best with All Back and Side Sleepers?
If you are a side or back sleeper with shoulder pain, neck pain or back pain, the best pillow for you is one that can support your posture when in either sleeping position. Having said this, a pillow that caves in towards the middle of it to cradle your head is the best for sleeping on the back. Sleeping on the side requires a bit more leverage usually to take into the shoulders and keep the spine straight. Usually, both of these qualities can be found in the best pillows for side and back sleepers.
You would need to ascertain if you want a more or less firm pillow, depending on how much support you need and if you have back ailments or pains. Usually keeping the spine straight with optimal support gets more comfortable after you become used to sleeping with a good posture.
Materials That the Best Pillows For All Around Sleepers Are Made From
The best pillows for all sleeping positions are usually made from cotton or bamboo fiber covers which are filled with either water, gel or plastic foam bases. Shredded foam and feather fillings and any combination of the latter materials will create more comfortable supportive orthopedic cushions.
The most popular material people enjoy the best side and back sleeping pillow is memory foam. It’s a stiff foam that is heat reactive, and when you lay upon it, your body heat presses you further into it. This ensures your contour is kept all through the night and provides optimal natural support with a fantastic degree of comfort.
Memory foam pillows are also usually ergonomically designed with an inbuilt design that provides back and neck support. Selecting the right design will depend on if you are a side or back sleeper and if you have any ailments, injuries or conditions along the spine, affecting your posture.
Reviews: Best Back and Side Sleeping Pillows
For those who enjoy sleeping on their backs or sides, you may not be getting the adequate amount of support from your pillow which can interrupt your sleeping. Choosing a pillow that provides the best support for your sleeping style will not only improve your sleep patterns but also alleviated and prevent pain and aches caused by your particular sleeping position.
Here are some of the top choices in pillows if you sleep on your back or side;
Designed to accurately help stomach and side sleepers, especially those who like to comfortably sleep on their arms without cutting off blood flow or circulation.
- It consists of two memory foam rectangular parts which a pillow stuffed with either gel fiber, goose down, microbead or memory foam sits. Just place your arm between the foam under your elevated pillow for a good nights rest.
- This particular memory foam model will mold seamlessly to your shape and contour your body to produce you with the ultimate neck and shoulder support.
- The pillow is covered in valor, which is easy to clean and help keeps the inner cushion clean.
- It elevates your neck slightly which will help you keep good posture and prevent snoring.
The Leachco Total Body Pillow is ideal for side sleepers with back problems or pregnant mothers needing back support for side sleeping.
- Innovatively designed to cradle your entire body shape and doubles as a knee pillow.
- Will support the stomachs of pregnant side sleepers as well as the neck of any side sleeper.
- Available in white, green, brown or pink.
- Provides support to your hips, back, neck and stomach and allows you just to snuggle into a deep sleep.
- The cover is machine washable and hassle-free to maintain.
The Schmoozi Pregnancy Pillow specialized pregnancy pillow comes in a convenient travel bag and is transportable everywhere.
- The design of the pillow provides leg, hip, stomach, neck and back support, ideal for maternity.
- The pillow forces you to stay asleep in one spot, which aids heartburn, acid reflux as well as snoring.
- Ideal for side sleepers who suffer from lower back pain or knee pain.
- This full body pillow gives a very comfortable sleeping experience with a 5year warranty and is machine washable.
The Mkicesky Cervical Contour Pillow is manufactured from quality memory foam and is ergonomically designed to give your neck, back, hips and spine the ultimate support during sleep.
- The channel in the middle of the design of the pillow will support the neck for back sleepers.
- The elevated “wings” on either side of this support gap will alleviate back and neck pain inside sleepers.
- Eco-friendly, the bamboo cover is removable and machine washable.
- This orthopedic pillow is hypoallergenic and guaranteed to be dust mite free.
- Made to fit many different body shapes and sizes and will keep the spine straight in most back and side sleepers.
The PharMeDoc is a contoured cervical pillow with gel cooling technology and shape-contouring capabilities.
- This medically endorsed cervical pillow is comprised of 60% polyester.
- Based off of cooling gel technology, the heat you generate will be evenly dispersed and cooled slightly. Say goodbye to hot flashes during the night!
- Holds your shape wonderfully and keeps your spine straight.
- Ideal for back and side sleepers who suffer from neck pain or back pain.
- 100% hypoallergenic and phthalate free. Also, dust mite resistant and very hygienic.
- Improves the quality of your sleep by allowing you to relax with optimal comfort.
The LC Innovations Smart knee is one of the best pillows for side sleepers who suffer from bad circulation in the knees and legs.
- The support is adjustable with interlocking pillows. Add or subtract to suit your needs!
- Helps to alleviate pain in the knees, joint pain, hip pain and back pain.
- By elevating your hips to the right angle with this orthopedic leg support pillow, you can maintain great posture throughout the night and wake up feeling refreshed in the morning.
- Comes with a leg strap for extra adhesion while moving from side to side.
Index Table: Best Side and Back Sleeping Pillows
|1||Better Sleep Original Version - Sleeping on Arm Under Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers||Better Sleep||94|
|2||Leachco Snoogle - Total Body Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers||Leachco||96|
|3||Schmoozi Pregnancy Pillow - Back Support Pillow||Schmoozi||95|
|4||Mkicesky Cervical Contour - Side and Back Sleeping Bed Pillow||Mkicesky||95|
|5||PharMeDoc Contour Cooling Gel - Back and Side Sleep Pillow||PharMeDoc||95|
|6||LC Innovations Smart Knee - Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers||LC Innovations||94|
Table of Contents
- How Different Sleeping Positions Have an Effect On You, Your Posture and Sleep
- What Type of Sleeping Pillow Helps Best with All Back and Side Sleepers?
- Materials That the Best Pillows For All Around Sleepers Are Made From
- Reviews: Best Back and Side Sleeping Pillows
- Better Sleep Original Version Sleeping on Arm Under Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers
- Schmoozi Pregnancy Pillow Back Support Pillow
- Mkicesky Cervical Contour Side and Back Sleeping Bed Pillow
- PharMeDoc Contour Cooling Gel Back and Side Sleep Pillow
- LC Innovations Smart Knee Pillow for Side and Back Sleepers
- Index Table: Best Side and Back Sleeping Pillows